Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green'

Posted by ken_adrian z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:03

open link in a NEW WINDOW ...

one gallon 9/2005

a while back whass asked about pruning it.. i still dont understand .. it have an incredible natural form ... and with that growth since 2005 .. one isnt going to bonsai it.. lol ...

its a nigra.. i presume it has a death knell .. i dont know the understock ...

any ideas what it is.. and is there anything i can do about it ...

too bad i am too lazy to edit for contrast .... well i tried the PB editing .. whatever ...

20120718_2916

20120718_2917

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinus nigra 'Oregon Green'

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 20:02

I pruned a few co-dom laterals that where at or above the height of the leader.

Some of the cuts yeilded more buds than I would have liked as I didn't want a dense plant. For this cultivar I prefer a loose plant to show off the pipes.

I ended up removing the buds that where pointing back towards the trunk. Never really got any feedback on when the best time is to remove those buds so I just did it now.

I might go back and remove the larger buds as well from these cuts so that all the energy doesn't go into the top of the plant.

I guess this is my trial plant I can learn from. I can tell you that Pinus nigra seems to respond well to pruning AND I pruned it AFTER the buds formed and I still got a nice bud set. I think the key to timing is not the bud formation but the progress of the needle formation.

I pruned a Pinus strobus probably a bit early and it set very few buds and then they actually started pushing in late July.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here