Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zephyrgal_gw

sitka spruce witches broom

zephyrgal
10 years ago

Today we had the sitka spruce hazard tree trimmed away from our house. I noted a witches broom and requested it to be saved. Do you think this one is desireable for grafting? Comments appreciated. If any locals, Oregon and Washington or beyond are interested contact me through here. I can send additional photos. Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Looking at the foliage etc. Sitka spruce would not be my first guess for the identification. Anyway, it appears you have cut the tree up - I would think the broom would have to be made use of right away.

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bboy, another photo, albeit, not the best for ID, yet, the outline and shape should give you a clue. I believe it is native to our N.coast region and I invite you and anyone near by to take a look see. Thanks for the comment.

• botann
    10 years ago

Wrong time of year for grafting I believe.
    Looks more like an Abies procera than a Sitka Spruce to me.
    Mike

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Hi Z,

The branch structure and bark confirm Picea sitchensis. If it were January or February, you'd surely have scores of broomers wanting a piece of the action. Alas, Mike's right; this is not the time to expect a successful take on any grafts.

~Dave

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Yep, this is a Picea sitchensis for sure.
    The needle setting of the broom is telling me this...

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No doubt in my mind that it is indeed a Picea sitchensis and an interesting broom. I will send samples to those who have requested.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Habit photo clearly Sitka spruce.

• botann
    10 years ago

I guessed wrong. I see the Spruce now over the Abies. I should have known just by the size alone. Abies procera would probably have to be planted. The neighborhood is not that old.
    Nice broom!
    Mike

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mike, yes you should have known better since you're a Northwesterner! A close up of the needles.

• zephyrgal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clement, I received your request and will send tomorrow. I've decided to name it "Little Bear" after our dog, Bear'Zee. For the others that requested the cuttings will be sent on the same day. Good luck to all.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

That it was the spruce was not obvious in the original picture, the broom being pretty aberrant and the normal branches and foliage behind not being easy to see well.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

for those of you who have requested cuttings, I'm curious. What propagation technique do you plan to use to increase your chance of getting them to survive?

Not being accusative, I'm just trying to learn here. Many times, I'll be on a remote trail somewhere and encounter a broom. My first consideration will be, what the odds are that I'd be able to return to that place in the middle of winter to collect scionwood. More times than not the answer is -- no way in hades and I'll move on.

If you don't want to out yourself on a public forum, please PM me. Like I said above, this could be handy knowledge.

~Dave

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Lots of bonsai folks graft stuff in the fall. Here's a link on field-grafting firs in the fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fir Grafting

• sluice
    10 years ago

That's an interesting article, unprofessional, thanks for the link.
    Dave, in 2009 I tried fall grafting P. engelmannii scions and had no takes. This year I'm trying again and will post results on the forum.

Here's a link which mentions summer grafting.

Here is a link that might be useful: summer grafting in Finland and US