Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
neonrider

Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera

neonrider
10 years ago

Has anyone seen Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera growing in zone 8 or 9?

Comments (12)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Is your profile saying you are in South Carolina? Probably more people will have something to respond with knowing that part. Other than that, I would say if you see other Pinus densiflora growing around there the cultivar probably will also. And if there aren't any examples of the species to be seen there at all - even in collections or parks - that carries its own implication.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Certainly concur with bboy regarding regionally appropriate
    conifers.Tom Coxs new book,Landscaping With Conifers and Ginkgo mentions a nice group of P.densiflora for the
    southeast U.S.Doug

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your comments. If I saw some Pinus densiflora here I would have posted a comment on it growing here, but I have not seen any, but that does not mean they may not exist here.

I hope and I wonder is there anyone growing Pinus densiflora, Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera or Pinus densiflora Umbraculifera "Tanyosho" in SC or NC, GA in zones 8/9. I'm growing one Tanyosho for several years in the ground now and despite it's rated as max. zone 7A in my zone (8A/8B but it seems to becoming z9) it grows fine, but it is a grafted specimen, I believe it is grafted onto an Austrian pine.

I am now trying to germinate a few dozen seeds of it and they seem to rot at the stem and lean over a lot and are very fragile seedlings so far. Unlike Pinus pinea, which are much larger when they germinate.

Not sure whether regular Pinus densiflora are the same as Umbraculifera and Tanyosho. It's a bit confusing. Perhaps someone can explain their differences.

Also I'm growing Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea). They seem to grow like a menora shape while small and I do not have any larger specimens than 2 footers. I grow them from seed and germination rate is about 50% or more, but more than 50% of the seedlings will actually perish until they make it to a larger size. They grow very slowly, not more than a foot per year or less and have a lot of browned branches without green foliage. Years later I will have them available to dig up from the ground and in pots for trade to other trees with collectors.

Orangeburg, South Carolina.

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

"And if there aren't any examples of the species to be seen there at all - even in collections or parks - that carries its own implication."

Here in the SE this does not carry any meaning. The palette of horticultural variety is very limited esp. with conifers. It is all magnolias, camellias, hollies, nandina etc, usually badly placed, and very pedestrian cultivars at that. And of course the ubiquitous azalea which is stunning for about a week in spring then a big shapless glob for the rest of the year. The big box stores are just beginning to carry the new heat tolerant rhododendrons fortunately,that is one bright spot.. There is very little "out side of the lines" thinking here.
    Conformity is the rule. Even the local nurseries are mundane. Collections? Parks? Surely you jest.

This post was edited by fairfield8619 on Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 11:20

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

SC very boring indeed, the mindset is something. Although the location is good. Need fresh blood! Don't move here for dating! People here seem indifferent to their surroundings and lazy. Lots of lookers, but no buyers. As if it is not their land, but some borrowed, barren land. Always some exceptions, but very few. I'm trying to grow something more interesting, to make the place look more attractive and perhaps donate (selling is impossible) to the local municipalities to wake them up. Am removing the large out of shape magnolia to place something else. Removed all the white oak which were a mess, although still felt sorry to remove any kind of trees. I will give away a lot of Italian Stone Pines, palms etc. if I can afford on my small salary to surrounding properties on hopes the place will grow them to look more nice. If you're looking for a cheap place to live, it is here, and pretty safe.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"And if there aren't any examples of the species to be seen there at all - even in collections or parks - that carries its own implication."

One can not visit all parks, all gardens, collections, all properties in SC, NC, GA. This is why I'm asking if anyone on their private (hidden away) property is growing anything interesting, something that's away from the public highways. Even I might have seen one or two, or three, or more, but I may have not known about it or it may have looked different, or I may have not noticed it, etc.

How about Italian Stone Pine? Although a chance to receive a response from SC, or even NC, GA is pretty slim as very few people in the South-East seem to have internet, especially those who live outside of the majour cities.

• ogcon
    10 years ago

It can't be as bad as you say......I visited gorgeous gardens
    in and around Athens Georgia a couple of years ago.I'm tellin' you all American Conifer Society is the shortcut to
    gardening bliss.Check out the ACS website....the southeast
    U.S. has more "conifer reference gardens" than any of the other areas in the entire country.Doug

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Tanyosho is a common name for P. densiflora 'Umbraculifera'. There may be more than one clone on the market, as some stock in the past has been sold as a less vigorous type.

Or it may be cultivariance.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Online database of plants at Raulston Arboretum lists multiple cultivars of Pinus densiflora, including one as 'Tanyosho Special' - this is probably one of the supposedly smaller-growing productions that may not be a truly distinct cultivar - or may at least need a better cultivar name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Plantings

• fairfield8619
    10 years ago

ogcon, Athens IS one the better places in the SE but it is only one of the few. Athens is like Austin, untypical of the south. Most of the SE is pretty bleak in outlook unlike the NE and certainly the west coast. I know I have lived here all my life. There is still great poverty here and plants are not on the short list for most. We are the home of the American Rose Society and most people haven't even been there and don't really care that it is here. It gets mostly a few tourists. Most of what you speak about is in parts of GA and NC, pretty much the mindset is completely different everywhere else.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ogcon, Athens, Georgia is not in Central South Carolina. I have been to Athens, GA, it's a University town. I can't speak for the entire South-East. I like Greenville, SC, Charleston, SC, Myrtle beach, SC, but I am talking about central SC and I could say the same about North Carolina mountains, out in the country and small towns.

• neonrider
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm germinating 38 seeds of Pinus densiflora. I'm not sure if the seeds are 'Umbraculifera' or just Pinus densiflora. Still not so sure of the difference between Pinus densiflora 'Umbraculifera' and Pinus densiflora. So far 8 seeds germinated and about 4 of the seedlings collapsed. They are so tiny and weak, much unlike Pinus pinea that look giant against these. Looks like only one may survive. Low germination rate plus looking weak, I really didn't expect this from Pinus densiflora, as I understand it is also known as Japanese Red Pine. I grow one in the ground that I purchased grafted on Austrian Pine (I was told it was grafted onto Austrian pine). It's growing fine, but slowly and has no red trunk at all, perhaps because it is too small (2-3 feet tall) or perhaps because it's been grafted. So, regarding GERMINATION of Pinus densiflora (any of those0, what are your experiences germinating these and what is their usual germination rate? I'm not thinking of purchasing 500 seeds of Pinus densiflora 'Whatever' in hope that at least 2 to 5 will live...1%. Is that too much to expect?