Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photo of interesting spruce

Posted by gimberly 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 19:52

I spotted this cool looking tree in Maple Grove Cemetery - Chesterville, Ohio (Chester Township, Morrow County).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photo of interesting spruce

Another view

o

Did you get up close and look at the trunk? It looks like it was broke in half years ago and another leader formed.

tj

o

Very Cool! Kind of reminds me of Monkey Puzzle. I believe it is Picea abies 'Cranstonii'

o

It's just a seedling Norway spruce with variation. I'll bet nearly 1/2 that tree was snapped off.

Dax

o

Dax, just curious, how can you tell it's just a seedling vs a cultivar? I'm trying to improve my identification skills!

o

I agree with Dax.

J

o

Hi SC: I suppose reading Resin's answers over the more than 10 years has helped immensely. And, 'Virgata' has extremely long & hanging, branchlets.

Dax

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:13

Many named selections originate as seedling variants, some seedling variants are in effect "types" that reappear repeatedly in seed batches. Some trees look like forms that have been on the market but are actually different, individual occurrences of the same growth behavior, that weren't ever selected, named, "built up" and sold as cultivars. No way to know if this tree was selected, named and sold by somebody or not just looking at this picture. If it was possible to look at the root grown and see that it originated as a grafted combination then that would point to it having been from a batch of vegetatively propagated nursery stock and not a seed raised plant. But even then, strictly speaking you can't be certain it was a named selection because grafting of unnamed selections in order to achieve uniformity of production within a crop does occur also.

o

The majority of cemeteries with trees that old (I don't know 9,999/10,000) are seedling planted Norways. ("anything is possible") and I could be persuaded if I walked that cemetery and noticed all/or the majority of Norways had a uniform-look. Very unlikely though.

Dax

o

Good Points. Yea, I was thinking that too, but saw that 'Cranstonii' is a very old cultivar, so figured it must be that. I didn't really consider that they probably were not planting cultivars.

I knew it couldn't be 'Virgata', because as you said, it is very open and even more snakelike. Additionally, 90% of the trees people think are 'Virgata', are actually 'Cranstonii'. It seems quite rare to see a true 'Virgata', so I wouldn't expect one to show up at the cemetery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here