Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beccaplants

top heavy fir

beccaplants
10 years ago

Hopefully someone on the forum knows what to do. All I could find on the web was something about pinching the candles in the Spring from the top heavy part and the bottom would grow to balance it out while slowing the top portion?

Would this be correct?

Many thanks again.

Comments (12)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Hello Becca.

I think you hit it although candle pruning seems like an art that is usually done to dwarfs.

How tall is that tree? Seems like alot of work are you going for a formal look or screen or just want to grow some healthy trees?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

What are you seeing that makes you call it "top heavy"?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

It's a normal fir which isn't top heavy at all...

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Looks fine to me too, no need for any pruning.

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

did you plant this???

what i am seeing.. is that it was shaved.. to make a pretty little xmas tree shape ... for retail sale ...

after planting.. and full establishment ... it is out-growing its shaved look ... and developing its NATURAL shape and look ...

i cant tell what it is... but when its a telephone pole .... it will be in its natural shape...

the problem with you messing with it is.. is that.. as it get 15... 30.. 45... feet tall .... how are you going to maintain it????? do you happen to have a bucket truck???

enjoy it for what it is.. and what it will become ... on its own ... and quit comparing it to its sibling behind.. you cant do that with children.. and you cant do it with trees ....

if you want some pretty.. little xmas tree shaped plant.. we can probably make suggestions for your area.... outside of the monster species plants .... though have no clue about NM...

ken

• beccaplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bottom is starting to fill out but the top was always larger and was worried that snow load would bring it down. It's about 7 feet tall and was planted before I moved in. Glad to know it will develop on it's own. I kept picturing a 20 foot tree with this huge umbrella top and tiny little branches on the bottom and then one day just falling over lololol.

As you can (maybe) tell from my property I don't like pretty little shaped anything. Natural and healthy is my motto. So happy to know I DON'T have to do anything to it.

Thank you all for the input!

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Becca, it looks like you have a pretty scenic spot of land there in what to a humidity having, short line of sight St Louis boy seems like am exotic setting. It has been awhile since I have been ouy west.

Feel free to post some pics and show off as the seasons progress!

• beccaplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

toronado3800, humidity is around 50% (high for here) mainly because it's the monsoon season so fairly decent rain. It's taken awhile to adapt to the high desert garden but having fun with it.

I'll try and remember to send a current photo later in the season. Attaching one of a past winter out of my kitchen window.

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

I don't think yours is a fir (Abies) at all. It looks like a spruce (Picea) to me....

Are you near the Taos area?

osprey

• beccaplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More near Santa Fe. How can I find out if it's a fir or spruce just so I know.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

This is a direct quote:

"To tell spruce and fir trees apart, it helps to know that spruce needles are sharply pointed, square and easy to roll between your fingers. Fir needles, on the other hand, are softer, flat and cannot be rolled between your fingers. Spruce needles are attached to small, stalk-like woody projections. When needles are shed, these projections remain. As a result, the branches of spruce trees feel rough. Fir branches lack these projections, and thus have smooth bark. The color and length of needles are not reliable means of identification; these can vary from tree to tree, depending on cultural conditions and the planting site. "

Your tree looks more like a Blue Spruce (Picea pungens). A test will be drought tolerance. With a few exceptions, Picea is generally more drought tolerant than Abies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iowa State University Extension

• ospreynn
    10 years ago

OK, your are right, still pinyon/juniper country there....

Smivies describes a very good way to tell them apart, but it is even easier if you have cones. Spruce cones are pendulous and do not disintegrate upon seed dispersal... I believe there are a couple of cones in one of your trees...