Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Things finally decided to grow...

whaas_5a
11 years ago

Almost a 60 day bout of extreme dryness in June and July finally came to an end when quite a few storms rolled through the last week of July.

I'm not surprised by the deciduous plants putting out a nice new flush as the rain pulled through a dose of nitrogen.

However I noticed many of my Picea are putting out a second flush. Many of which are not known for a second flush.

Is that odd or not so much?

Comments (11)

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

So nice to hear that you received rain. I was teased today by a little sprinkle for a few minutes. I'm still doing my rain dances.

All three of my Picea omorika have put out a second flush. I just figured that was normal. A few branches of my Picea orientalis 'Skylands' has but out a few more little pushes too.

Here's little Picea omorika 'Pimiko' puting on a second show this year

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep, thats what I'm seeing. I wasn't sure if it was stress or if it was happy because its been well watered.

Eitherway just a curious mind!

Hope you get some rain soon. Some areas in the midwest have finally picked up a bit.

• severnside
    11 years ago

I have a second flush on my Picea sitchensis 'Papoose'. Glad you have better weather Whaas.

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

So Is this common? If not, what would be causing it, stress, or just happy enough to have another go? I'm just curious too. Does anyone have an idea. If not, no worries I'm just happy they are growing. =)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Yes, common on some conifers as well as other plants. Known as lammas growth.

tj

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha, never heard of that. Timing is right on the money per wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lammas_growth

They only list Picea sitchensis though. I have second flushes on Picea abies, glauca, pungens and omorika.

• severnside
    11 years ago

I have it on Tsuga, Yew, Picea orientalis and omorika as well as sitchensis.

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

I've often seen this on my many species Picea abies.

+oM

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear as I just noticed my 'Gold Drift' is flushing again!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since I've been a dud with pics this year might as well show some pics!

P. abies 'Little Gem'
    {{gwi:795991}}

Picea abies 'Fritsche'
    {{gwi:795992}}

P. ommorika 'Pendula Bruns'...skirt
    {{gwi:795993}}

P. abies 'Motala'...getting ready
    {{gwi:795994}}

A. procera 'Glauca Nana'
    {{gwi:795995}}

P. abies 'Gold Drift'
    {{gwi:607492}}

Picea abies 'Kellerman's Blue Cameo'
    {{gwi:795996}}

Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'...strugglin!
    {{gwi:795997}}

Picea omorika 'Horstmann'
    {{gwi:795998}}

Abies koreana 'Goldener Traum'...just because the color got better during the growing season.
    {{gwi:795999}}

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow'
    {{gwi:796000}}

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Yay pics! Those little guys are looking great.

Your 'Tom Thumb Gold' is looking like my 'Peve Tijn' with all the top needles burnt off and the lammas growth.

Your Abies are looking good too. I love that Abies procera 'Glauca Nana'. I've lost all but two of my Abies to the heat. My Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann' just started loosing needles today and I thought that was going to be the tougher of the bunch. 'Cis' and 'Eugene Gold' are still hanging in there. Sure wish I had known about that Wiltpruf spray to protect the needles before they started dropping like flies. I've met a about 3 other conifer nuts working at local nurseries that say they can't grow them either, so I guess the abies just aren't meant for my climate. I hope they do well for you and I'll just have to be happy with drooling over your pictures. =)