Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svtterminator

Blue spruce help

svtterminator
9 years ago

Zone 5...I just purchased colorado blue spruce tree from Menards pictures attached. Does it look okay for the long run?

The needles are thin on one side everything else is healthy.

Should I apply Bayer tree and shrub to this tree? I've had a jap beetle problem with shrubs lately.

Comments (9)

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tree is about 4 foot tall. Planted with native soil. Hole twice as large as pot.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

damage probably from them digging it out of a field ...

snip off totally brown twigs ... and forget about it ...

second pic.. i dont understand the pic.. why is it not plumb to the fence.. one or the other is crooked ... reset the plant in the hole.. presuming its the plant ... dont know what to tell you if its the fence.. lol ..

its stressed.. adding chems or fert is more stress ..

water properly ...

ken

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken...yup my fence is planted on a slanted hill and that's how it was installed. The tree is upright. I'm sorry for my late reply...I checked I wanted to be notified when a post was put up but it didn't work.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Yes, don't ever apply a pest control product without a clear target organism. I noticed that you wondered if you should just spray some "stuff" on your newish tree, for no particular reason. This is the very essence of bad horticulture, sorry to have to tell you. As a certified pesticide applicator, I could be fired, or even arrested, for applying pest control products willy-nilly.

I'm sure you're wondering what's gotten into this guy on the forum, blasting away about something you didn't even do. But I run across this attitude quite often-people who seem to think that somehow, they're supposed to spray something on their garden plants, whether there's a problem or not. Certainly not just you, SVT. Just making an example out of you I guess, lol!

+oM

• User
    9 years ago

Svt,
    water water water and put more mulch down around the circumference of the tree, not up to bark.
    Is it my computer monitor or is your Colorado Spruce green? I thought they were blue, it'll be fine.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

There are blue as well as green phases of this plant, the "blue" ones simply being strains having a glaucous (waxy) coating over the foliage, thought to be an adaptation to coldness and dry air, a la the Rocky Mountains in winter!

+oM

• outback63 Dennison
    9 years ago

"fence is planted on a slanted hill and that's how it was installed".

Be thankful this person didn't plant your conifer.

Basic rule of thumb. Insert index finger down to 2nd knuckle in planting hole. If dry water.

For a more positive check dig down the side of planting hole and determine if you are watering to much or not enough and adjust either way.

I think your tree looks good for the long run but don't over water, water water.

Dave

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello everyone,

Good point wisconsitom. I didn't apply the pesticide and now that you mentioned your point it makes sense not to.

Also I returned the blue spruce seen in the pic as I went to home depot and found a larger 5 foot blue spruce that was more visibly appealing for the same price.

New tree pic posted.

Yes the fence I deserve what I got I ended up going with the lowest quote.

• fake_usa
    9 years ago

Seriously what is going on with that fence? Is it falling over? You have to post another picture of it,, lol
    Good luck with the new tree, color looks better and it too.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting