Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Help me pick

miclino
10 years ago

Have a spot shaded in the morning with sun from late morning onwards. The soil is on the dry side and it is a raised bed. I have a shortlist of smaller evergreens I want to plant in that spot, would appreciate advice on which of these would tolerate less than full day sun and drier conditions better.

Golden globe arborvitae
Juniper sea of gold
Juniper old gold

I ruled out Rheingold arborvitae because I read it does not like dry conditions. Would you pick one over the other? If so why? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

no plant will tolerate dry ... as a transplant ... i hope you will be willing to keep it properly moist for a year or two ... once fully established.. most trees.. aka conifers.. are free range.... and do NOT need a lot of water .... in fact drainage is more important than water ....

it seems you are favoring yellow .... many yellows do not color properly ... in too much shade.. and shade is very hard to define.. other than just trying it ... yours does NOT sound dark enough for this issue ....

all that said.. that is not a very inspried list of plants.. why are you limitiing yourself to such??? .. whats available locally????

i got about half of my 500 conifers mail order..

you could do so much better... if you consider such ...

there are plants that are truly unique.. and will make your toes curl.. every time you see them ..

you list of plants.. will fill a space with a rather yellow presence ...

are you really tied to those?

i know you have pic ability ... why not snap us a pic of the spot.. and ask for suggestions.. rather than limiting us to your list????

planting time in SE MI is late sept or so ... so you have plenty of time.. to get something great ....

ken

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To the point as always ken :). You will be happy to hear that after years of dithering, I am finally ordering some dwarf conifers by mail. Filling up my cart at conifer kingdom as we speak because they have some decent sizes. Mostly smaller picea pungens, incl st Joseph broom, Donna rainbow, blue totem etc. feel free to suggest another mail source that has similar size plants. I really want a sesters dwarf in a decent size. Getting st Mary's broom locally.

You are correct that the ones listed above are pretty common. Of course I will be watering for the first year or more. Because the site is not great, I'm just planting something there that is cheaper and locally available. In any case, the conifers in my first post will just provide the background for the dwarf conifers that I will be getting (which will have more sun, water and good drainag)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

call CK ... and talk to the guy who answers the phone ... and ask him to suggest some yellows within your parameters ...

he is usually just sitting around napping, waiting to talk to someone.. besides a plant.. lol ...

the ones in your reply are pretty nice.. i presume the comment about common ones is about the original post ...

when ordering online.... do keep in mind.. that they all have phones.. and are usually lonely people.. lol ... and really... they have more knowledge than most of us ...

ken

• miclino
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I found decent sized potted specimens of Pinus thunbergii "Thunderhead" and "Banshosho" at a local nursery. Reading on these, they seem to be fairly tolerant of dry sites (once established) and even a little shade. But I might be wrong. Any reason I should not consider these for the spot mentioned in first post?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm