Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best juglone tolerant "cousin it" look alike conifer

Posted by cadillactaste zone 5 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 21:02

We are away on a mini trip...and traveling seen a conifer that resembled Cousin It from The Adams Family.

Would love to have one in our yard to put large sunglasses on it. Or...have our friend the scrap junk artist make a long handled looking glasses for it. Where the handle would be the post supporting it into the air.

Would the Tsuga canadensis �Pendula' be the best suited for this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best juglone tolerant "cousin it" look alike conife

The whipcord I see mention of Cousin It...juglone tolerant...

Downfall....slow grower:

A very interesting and unique shrub, ‘Whipcord’ has glossy green foliage in summer with a bronzy look in winter. A full lush form will develop in full sun, in part shade it is more open and stringy looking with a fountain like form. Adds instant texture unlike any other to the gardens, and moves in the breeze like ornamental grasses. Great for accent or specimen plant, in a shrub or perennial border, on a slope or as a foundation plant. In ten years it will grow to about 2-3 feet tall and wide and may take as much as 30 years to reach full size. Although this is considered a dwarf, it is only because it is a sport of the giant Western Red Cedar.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.orientalgardensupply.com/index.php/thuja-plicata-whipcord-42239.html

This post was edited by cadillactaste on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 22:42

o
RE: Best juglone tolerant "cousin it" look alike conifer

the one in your pic... looks like a deciduous larch ...

Larix decidua pendula... or

Lkampheri pendula ...

they are confused in the trade.. i cant recall which is proper.. joy will tell us ...

mine is the first at the link ...

whipcord will not do it for you.. in your time ...

this larix.. has no inclination to grow up.. you train it as high as you want... or buy it that way ... and then it grows to the ground. ...

Pinus strubus pendula... is the same effect ....

no clue on the jugulone issue ... how close is this tree you are worrying about???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Tsuga heterophylla 'Thorsen's Weeping' (zone 6) is the best Cousin Itt plant. Marginal in zone 5, but depending where in Ohio you are, you may be able to grow Itt. I can't attest to heterophylla, but other tsugas I grow (canadensis, mertensiana and diversifolia) are juglone tolerant.

tj

o

I'm not home Ken...my husband thinks around 25 feet. But unsure about the trees in the Ravine. If any are walnut. We're away for the weekend...

Tsugajunkie we are a 5b in NE Ohio...but in a microclimate. So not sure what that means...other than things bloom later on the yard than others near us down the road.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here