Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picea abies 'Red Devil'

Posted by dietzjm (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 21:14

I saw these for sale at a local garden center, the wholesaler was I believe Russell's. The description read "Like 'Acrocona' but with red cones." The plants themselves looked more like P. abies "Pumila" but with a slight bluish cast to their green needles. They were very very attractive plants with 2 inches of new growth a year. Does anybody have P. abies "Red Devil" and if so do these plants sound like the cultivar I described? Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture.

-Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picea abies 'Red Devil'

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 22:11

I can't even find cool cultivars like that in SE WI. Just buy one and send me one while your at it!lol!

o

Come up to the Twin Cities, we have some pretty cool garden centers!

o

i thought 'Acrocona' had red cones. ?????

sounds like it might be a marketing ploy

ken
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I've never seen or heard of this plant either. I know 'Acracona' has red cones for about two months here before they turn brownish in color. Perhaps they are stating the cones on this new introduction stay red, though I am in the disbeliever camp. Many conifer cultivars, I am finding, are accidentally(or perhaps intentionally), renamed, for the shiny new label. Then silly fools like me end up buying them.

-Will

o

I emailed Don Howse as he lists "Red Devil" in his database with no info. Here is his response:

"I only have a very small plant in my collection. It is a low mound, looking nothing like 'Acrocona'. My plant is about 6" in diameter, and I do not see any cones having been produced. The texture of the plant appears similar to Picea abies 'Pusch', which of course is a dwarf form of 'Acrocona', growing into a low mound. At this point I would say my plant appears more like 'Pumila' than 'Acrocona', but then it may be too early to make the assesment. I do not have any other information about the plant. Sorry!!"

His "Red Devil" sounds just like the cultivar I saw. The plants are quite attractive, plus they're 25% off so I think that I'll buy one and give it a shot.

-Matt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here