Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

ID help - Cedrus deodara

I bought this as Cedrus deodara 'Pygmaea Nana'. The RHS (nor anyone else that I can find) does not recognize this name. There is, however, a 'Pygmaea'. I figured that this had to be it, until I purchased a 'Pygmaea' (or in any case a plant so labeled) that looks nothing like this one - it is gray-blue and prostrate (much paler/grayer than 'Prostrate Beauty'). Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus deodara 'Who-am-I?'

Comments (15)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Where am I?

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Where am I?"

Somewhere near Seattle, if I remember rightly. Try asking the National Security Agency if you need more details?

;-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

not that i am going to be able to help on this ID..

but i couldnt find the named plant at your general link...

but perhaps i am a dullard this morning ...

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Who Am I + No Picture Being Found = Where Am I.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken you are not a dullard...sorry about that. Wordpress seems to have changed their linkage...or I did something wrong. Now it's the top photo.

Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus deodara 'Who-am-I?'

• Skeena
    10 years ago

Not that I'd be able to help you solve the Cedrus mystery, but am having trouble following the link to the selected cultivar. Enjoyed browsing through your site, so wasn't disappointed that I clicked.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Grrr...sorry - I sought some wordpress help and my buddy went in there and deleted the photo because he saw it was out of alpha order! I purposely put it at the top of the page (out of alpha order) to make it easy. Ok, I just fixed it: now it should link directly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cedrus deodara 'Pygmaea' - maybe...

This post was edited by formandfoliage on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 18:43

• Skeena
    10 years ago

The tree looks similar to Cedrus deodara 'Divinely Blue' in it's shape, but like you said, the color is gray-blue. Hopefully you'll get an answer on this.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes the shape is exactly like 'Divinely Blue'. But my tree is green - maybe bluish green but definitely green.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I'd call this quite blue, the color of the new growth is what counts. Away from the inter-mountain region leaves of blue conifers are often dulled by what appears to be something like algal growth the first year. The same appearance as your tree is showing is commonly presented by blue Colorado spruce, Rocky Mountain juniper and so on up here.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So are you saying it is 'Divinely Blue'? I'll have to look at new foliage but I don't think it's anywhere near as blue as 'Prostrate Beauty' for example.

Edwin, where are you now that we need you?!

Sara

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Sara, here I'm :0)
    The whole day I had Julien (Sugi) from France here as a nursery visitor...

I also had problems with your pics at first.
    The one you titled 'Pygmaea' looks also like a 'Divinely Blue' to me.
    It looks like a pretty old specimen and it's needle colour is pretty blue.
    You just bought it under the wrong name...

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:35

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you guys. I just went out and looked at the new foliage (the Deodaras push growth twice per season in this zone) and while it isn't as blue as say 'Prostrate Beauty', it is definitely way bluer than the older growth on the same plant, which gives it a two-toned effect (as opposed to PB which is just blue all over). So I'm going with 'Divinely Blue' and assuming that the other one that I bought as 'Pygmaea' really IS 'Pygmaea'.

Whew!

Sara

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

'Pygmaea' should be a little thing, kinda prickly- and bunchy looking.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup that describes it perfectly.

Sara

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH