Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
junipers turning brown

Posted by dl1111 7b charlotte, nc (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 22:29

I have 14 blue point junipers staggered in a line that are browning. All show browning around the base and interior, with some having browned tips. Our weather has been 90plus for the last 2 months with evening storms about 4-5 time per week. I have treated with insecticidal soap to control mites. Does this sound like a blight or possible root rot? All were planted two years ago, I also have a 15 ft cryptomeria japonica within 10 or so ft that shows no signs of stress. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: junipers turning brown

Example 1. Interior and base browning/dieback.

Here is a link that might be useful: base and interior

o

Brown tips

Here is a link that might be useful: brown tips

o

Insecticidal soap can easily burn foliage, especially of conifers, and especially if applied during the summer or on a sunny day. If the browning and dieback you observe occured after application, then that might be the cause.

They say it helps to apply in the early morning or evening, then wash it off with water after 15 min. It doesn't take long to kill the little buggers.

Alex

o

Very difficult to tell from photos. Did you actually see spider mites? You can usually see them by shaking foliage over a white sheet of paper.

A common disease on many Cupressaceae during moist, warm weather in the SE is Cercosporidium foliar blight. However, your photos are not enough for diagnosis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here