Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johniferous

Steeplechase Arborvitae Question

Hello all - I just planted a 7 foot Steeplechase Arborvitae. I chose it over green giant because it looked better and it's growing habit (less wide and a little less tall than green giant) works for the area I'm screening. I have two questions:

1. Do you recommend the same procedures as a green giant? Any precautions you recommend for winter?

2. Do they really grow as fast as green giants?

I live in northern New Jersey, zone 6B. It was planted in about half sun half shade throughout the day.

Thank you!

This post was edited by Johniferous on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 23:34

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

same procedures for what???

are they single leader plants??? .. that is the key regarding winter ...

GG growth claims are variable according to length of season ... so i dont know exactly what you are asking ...

i dont have steeplechase itself ...

but planting any 7 foot tree in august.. requires supreme water maintenance for the rest of this year.. and all of next ... whats your plan in that regard???

ken

• Johniferous (Zone 6B, Northern NJ)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mean since they are very closely related to Green Giant, is the care procedure the same? i.e. how frequently they need to be watered, how much sun etc....You ask what my water plan is....it is to continue watering every other day while it's hot and then slow down to once or twice a week. Is that good?

The plant does have a much smaller, weaker second leader that I cut down about a quarter from its top so as to not encourage it to grow. They all did...the one I picked was the one with the strongest, best central leader.

I have attached a picture of the tree (you will see the second leader that I clipped on the right side). I am watering it deeply every other day. It gets random sun/shade from a high canopy of old growth deciduous trees.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are my questions more clearly stated:

1. What is a good watering plan? I currently water deeply every other day and will shift to once or twice a week come mid september. If it rains, I don't water it.

2. Did I trim that second leader to the right correctly? Should I cut it down more or let it be for now?

THANK YOU!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

we will get you there john ...

see link.. review.. study.. commit to memory ...

conifers.. trees... shrubs.. the rules are all the same.. they do not vary according to the type of plant ... [the big differences is when you change the rules for perennials/annuals.. or pots... etc]

IMHO.. the only real issue is soil type ... in terms of drainage ... and how that impacts watering.... review it all at the link ...

deep watering every other day.. is probably way over the top ...

only you can determine how to water.. PROPERLY.. in your soil ...

you water when the soil indicates it needs more water ....

that fact that you are working in so much shade ... means you can get away with planting it in august ...

i wish i could convince you to go about half the size you like to buy.. 3 to 4 foot max ... but i see the pool and understand the goal ....

john.. next to your name it says NONE ... if you could change that to close big city.. and do note.. sometimes it only shows on the original post.. i can quit asking you.. where you are ... i cant recall.. post to post ... its done on your members page ...

as to repruning... in my world.. you can always go back.. next year... and do more ... you cant glue staple things back on.. if you get carried away ...

as i said elsewhere.. start thinking in terms of tree years.. as compared to instant gratification.. when making decisions in regards to long lived plants ...

read the link.. and lets narrow your questions down to simpler concepts ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken - Thanks for the suggestions. I updated my zone info.

I am in the town of Kinnelon in the northern New Jersey Highlands Region...we have rocky, somewhat acidic soil with good drainage.

You are right...I am picking larger trees because I need the privacy to exist now. But I do realize that they have been altered more by the grower and will take longer to settle in. 7 foot trees were a compromise btw - I almost bought a 12 foot white pine!

Your link resolved my questions. I will use my finger to check for the need to water and be very attentive through the heat.

THANK YOU!