Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over wintering a large (10') Sequoiadendron in borderline zone?

Posted by dirtslinger2 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 23:19

I've got a line on a 10' Sequoiadendron giganteum glaucum (which I thought was slightly hardier than species??)

Normally I'd plant a smaller one, and a spring planting for a summer of establishment prior to it's first "real" winter. This one would be a Sept planting, first frost mid Oct. These are grown at a nursery in about zone 8 so they don't know what cold is (maybe -12C for a nip).

So this is a huge tree, with a massive root ball (32 or 36 inch I believe). It has real bark if that helps any.

Anything that can be done to baby it, being so tall? Is it worth wrapping in burlap or even poly?? This is zone 6. I know of a large one in a close by zone 5, so under the right conditions this is possible, just... rare.

Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over wintering a large (10') Sequoiadendron in borderline zon

Where are you? In the west? In the east? These matter because of humidity and geography. Sequoiadendron stands a better chance in the west. Zone 6 is not really a border zone, though, the tree should be fine so long as it is planted in advance of temp drops to help it get established a bit before winter. Salt lake city is technically zone 6, maybe even 5, and there are 30 ft tall trees here. If you want to baby it, do what you can to shield it from harsh drying winter winds and full winter sun.

o

West coast- but in the mountains. Dry air, yet plenty enough moisture in the ground.
Moderate winters, plenty of snow, 1-2 really cold snaps.
We DO get cold windy days.

I'm thinking if I can help it survive one winter, it has a significantly better chance taking care of itself following years. Just not sure what I can do for a 10 footer(mechanically).

o

Is this something you have to take now. The nursery won't hold it till spring?

If it's now or never plant it and forget it. The sooner the better.

Good luck.

Dave

o

Plant it, the sooner the better. If you can shelter it a bit from the wind, whether its with a house or another tree, the better. You should be fine, this species does better in places where there is not much summer humidity, that's why I asked about climate. So long as its not 105 degrees and 15 humidity, no harm in planting it. Just water it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here