Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windhaven_gw

Need some spacing advice

Windhaven
10 years ago

Last year we had to take down a maple tree in the front yard that had been hit by lightening. I had already been planning on replacing the tree with conifers and so I bought a few smaller trees throughout the season and planted them in the fall as soon as the tree was cut down. I LOVE dansgrdn's conifer berm and that is my inspiration.

My husband's chain saw gave out before we could cut the stump all the way down so I decided to just leave it and place an armillary on it as loosing the tree really left a big "blank" area in the front yard. So last fall I planted my little trees along with a few shrubs to round it out. In the front is Picea pungens 'Golden Feathers', on the east corner is Picea glauca 'Pendula', west corner is Picea pungens 'Blue Falls' (which I was told is really 'The Blues') and in the upper middle is Picea omorika 'Bruns Pendula'. I know that I need to do make some changes and have already started enlarging my boomerang island bed. All feedback appreciated!

{{gwi:46359}}

This post was edited by Windhaven on Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 23:23

Comments (5)

• Windhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm also thinking about taking out the Weeping Pussy Willow that's on the corner of the porch planting. It's hard to keep neat looking and those Japanese Beetles love it. I think a narrow columnar conifer would look better there,

• ogcon
    10 years ago

Looks to me like you've got a good start to attaining conifer
    bliss.Btw,great looking house.Your plants look rather closely planted.I will talk about the one I know best."The Blues" will want substantial space unless you stake it
    vertically.Left to its own design it will sprawl horizontally and
    develope considerable character.Children (of all ages)refer
    to mine as Snufflelufagus.Its happy enough growing thusly
    but in your area may want support along its length for
    wintry conditions.Doug

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Way cool house. Great job on restoration.

As it stands now the armillary is the focal point. That will change with Picea pungens 'Golden Feathers' out on the point. Over time this conifer will get quite large. I would move it to the unplanted area to the left and give it plenty of room.

Not knowing which way is east or west I think I am looking at 'Glauca Pendula' on the right. Appears to be to close to the border .I would set that back 3-4 ft as it will develop a skirt at the bottom as it matures. Keep the leader on a stake till it becomes to high for training. Then be prepared for whatever direction it chooses to go.

A berm and boulders will add character and get rid of that flat land look. Give it some thought.

Weeping Pussy Willow is over grown and needs to go. Give us a closer up front photo of that area as it is to hard to make a call on what if anything needs to take its place.

Islands are difficult to bring off with the right balance of conifers ,deciduous offerings and color flow. It will take a few years to achieve the look your after and yes you will make changes.

You have a good start.

Correct cultivar name: 'Pendula Bruns'.

Dave

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

my golden feathers is ... after ten years ... about 10 feet tall.. and just about as wide... meaning it grows at least a foot per year ....

you are over planted in this spot ...

as such.. i would move the GF this fall ...

ken

• Windhaven
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree on the berm/boulder idea and it was my original plan but I ran out of time and money last year and so I put the little trees in the ground until I could revisit it this year. The picture is less kind than standing there and looking at my little babies but it's apparent to me that I need to overhaul the whole area and concept. With that said, I am a little concerned about affording a landscape blocked berm or even nice boulder front wall defining the space. And how does all that work with a house built in 1895? I love hearing ideas and this will take years to really be what I want it to be so I'd rather be working in that direction. I imagine I need to move them all before it's all said and done. Keep the ideas and critique coming! (and thanks to those that have responded.)