Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Midsummer Pictures

dietzjm
10 years ago

Summer has been relatively cool here so far. Not many days in the 90s or above. For the past month or so it has seemed to stay near 80 degrees or below with a fair amount of rain. In other words, perfect conifer weather! I thought I'd post some pictures of cultivars I haven't shared a lot of yet.

Picea abies 'Vermont Gold'

Picea pungens 'Jean Iseli': Mine is grafted, I think if they are propagated by rooting they grow much more slowly and have a better blue color.

Pinus resinosa 'Kate': a slow-growing witch's broom found by Joe Breau and named after his daughter.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice'

Sciadopitys verticilatta 'Moonlight': A dwarf cultivar with cream foliage which burns in full sun.

Picea glauca var. densata 'Whiskey Blue Hills': I'm pretty sure this is an exclusive through Jason Hupp at Western Evergreen Nursery.

Pinus strobus 'Brevifolia': An oldie but goodie.

Larix gmelinii 'Romberg Park'

Abies fraseri 'Blue Bonnet'
{{gwi:799695}}

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1'

And this guy was just asking for his picture to be taken as well!

Comments (8)

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Nice pictures!

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1' is new for me... Very feathery look!

I always like to watch your pictures because you live in colder climates (colder winters) more than I do. And if it is able to grow in your area, then unto me will definitely grow too:)

Nice Sciadopitys verticilatta 'Moonlight'. I love sciadopitys and very worried that they will be able to withstand my winter. But yours looks very briskly! Do you also cover it for the winter?

And you red friend is very handsome!!!!!:) Is it a Golden Retriever? Boy? And how he gets on with conifers? I mean - leg lifting:)))) Does he not climb in beds?... It looks very smart:))))

I have two Irish setter boys.... Yet I have a low fence around the beds.... I hope they will gradually smarter...:)

Love your Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Baby Blue Ice'! I have only green and yellow pisiferas... But this one is wonderful! So blue!

Thank you for sharing!

Ireena

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Your dog looked like it has been wearing a pair of sunglasses all day long while laying in the sun... Lol

• Cher
    10 years ago

Great photos and choice conifers. Don't know what it is but everytime I see a baby blue, they always look great. Love the old guy watching your every move.
    Cher

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nice choices, Matt. Have you gotten many Sciadopitys to overwinter up there?

tj

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Great pics as usual! Hopefully thats just round 1?

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Matt, you're lucky with your cool summer.
    Here in The Netherlands it was too hot for a long time.

Your Picea pungens 'Jean Iseli' would be slower growing if it was propageted as a rooted cutting, but it's colour will remain a greyish-blue.

Pinus resinosa 'Kate': I never came across this find of Joe before.
    I never met his daughter either... ;0)
    Did you?

Abies fraseri 'Blue Bonnet'
    I prefer to write this one as 'Wingle's Blue Bonnet'.
    It's named this way by and after the finder.

Picea omorika 'Osmaston #1':
    I still have my doubs this one is a true Picea omorika.
    It's needles are too green and it's needles doesn't fit for this species.
    I think it's a cross with some other Picea species...

How old is your dog?

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice! I like the Abies fraseri 'Blue Bonnet'.

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Off-hand, I believe I grow 6 or 7 different cultivars of Sciadopitys verticillata, in addition to the plain species plant. 5 of my plants have so far been small enough to be protected under the layer of snow during winter. The taller S. verticillata get a single burlap screen on their southwest side to protect from sun-scald in the winter. I have never tried them without the screen, so I don't know whether or not they even need it. Also of note, I have never lost one of this species.

Edwin, do you have any guesses as to what other species could be in the "Osmaston #1'? Also, if I take cuttings of my 'Jean Iseli', dip them in rooting hormone and plant them, will they develop a tighter form than the one that is grafted?

Finally, the golden retriever's name is Duke and he just turned 9 this summer.