fairfield8619

Araucaria bidwillii

fairfield8619
10 years ago

Does anyone know of a source?

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you're in USDA 8 you won't be able to get it to persist outdoors for very many years. Otherwise, try Googling/Binging the name with "price" after it.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

IIRC the guy in Alabama growing the A. angustifolia I germinated told me that A. bidwillii died after a couple years for him. Only likely to make it through the mildest winters unless you're in a really sheltered area like downtown New Orleans, etc.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

People I know have been growing satsuma mandarins for at least fifteen years and getting good harvests so if I could get anywhere near that I would be happy. And I'm about as far from NO as can be in La.- opposite corner. Apparently this lake provides some benefit from the cold- there is only what I can surmise is a canary island date palm, it's not a butia either, at least ten ft tall down the street, significantly taller than the 6 ft fence. Not far from there is a bouganvillea growing against a house, then there are the many large washingtonia palms that people seem to love. All I find on Google is seeds.

This post was edited by fairfield8619 on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 12:39

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

We have dozens here - and a couple of local nurseries have them too. If you come to Florida, I would be glad to give you some. They get damaged, and some die at around 16 F. There is a big coning one in town, but I expect mine will die eventually.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to try one. I emailed the local NWS and asked how cold it has been in the last 15 yrs. She said the official low was 15F in 2010 at the airport. Of course there's the duration but we rarely stay cold for more than a few hours. I think it would be certainly worth it for fun.

• blue_yew
    10 years ago

High altitude seed would give more hardy plants
    i'm after seed from the highest altitudes.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    10 years ago

And, especially for you blue_yew, plants tolerant of cool summers. It's surprising how you don't have to go very high in elevation in SE Australia to get summers that are similar to the UK in temperatures, though probably a little sunnier. They also have more summer rainfall, but are still solidly zn 9 and you could probably grow the hardiest edible citruses. That would be one of my dream areas to garden.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The hardiest edible citrus are pretty hardy, not so much a stretch there. I just received a a Kimbrough satsuma, a Bloomsweet grapefruit and a Nippon orangequat and will keep them protected until spring planting time. An example of how warm it has been here in the last 20 yrs see these pics. The first one is my FIL and the grapefuit he grew from seed which took a while to bear, glad he saw fruit before he passed away. Then a large washingtonia. Seeing is believing.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Love the washingtonias. Thought much-below-freezing temps would've killed them in NW LA. My brother in Slidell, LA has a nice Mexican fan-palm, below:

This post was edited by beng on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 10:00

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's what I thought too- I was just illustrating that we seem to be in some kind of warm microclimate here, I really find it quite odd though. And we're far from Slidell too.