Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Pinus parvifolia & spring thaw

lalalandwi
10 years ago

I would like some feedback as to whether or not Pinus parvifolia will be able to handle approximately 4 weeks of pooling water in spring as the snow melts and the ground is thawing out. This is my parents yard & not my own so observation is minimal. To my understanding this situation will vary year to year but what they are telling me the max will be about 4 weeks.

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

where are you .. z5 is too diverse to make assumptions...

will the ground be frozen???

how big is the plant

how deep is the water??? .. why couldnt you berm it???

is space at such a premium???

ken

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Sitting in a pool of standing water for four weeks, definitely not.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'd agree, you need to avoid any type of standing water for pines. Only evergreen I'd be included to plant there would be a Picea abies and its cultivars.

I'm assuming you are in SE WI based on name and zone, meaning you have some clay which makes it worse.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

pooling water in spring as the snow melts and the ground is thawing out.

===>>> whats the native soil???

believe it or not... water moves thru frozen sand ....

i read big differences between OP use of pooling.. and dax/junkies presumptions of standing for the whole period

ken

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Yes I'm in SE WI & it is clay. 1" of sporadic pooling from time to time. It really depends on the weather aka if there is a lot of snow & if it rains in the time period of spring thaw. It is 15' from the lowest part of the yard. We planted a Taxodium distichum in the lowest spot which should fair well.

We can plant it elsewhere if you think these few weeks in spring will be problematic.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I'm having trouble with long term survival of any white pines here (strobus, parviflora, flexilis/reflexa) even on high ground. Tsuga canadensis would also work there.

tj

P.S. to Ken- That was Whaas, not me ;-)

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all your input. We will plant it in a different spot.

Tsugajunkie, what do you suppose is causing so many issues with pines? I see you are in SE WI as well. My folks have a bunch of neighbor's that grow Pinus strobus without any problems. Their trees look to be about 20+ years old.

Off topic, was it you that I met about 4 yrs ago that came to Bayview to look at Picea orientalis Aureaspicata because I was moving to FL? If so, you are going to kick yourself in the butt. I successfully transplanted it here at my folks house & looks great! It's been a while since I have had my head in conifers that can grow here in WI. Slowly things are coming back & thanks for your help.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

I knew I recognized that name, yes it was me. That was a beautiful tree and I'm sure your folks will enjoy it. How many folks did it take to move it?

I wish I knew what my issue with white pines was. They tend to live 8-10 years and then decline. Something about my soil they do not like. Yes, it is clay, but others like cembra, puece, resinosa and koraiensis do not have issues.

tj