Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need to clean up the dead branches inside of a juniper tree?

Posted by khoi CA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 3:21

I just bought a house that was vacant for a long time, the juniper trees still look green on the outside, but when I looked at the inside, it's all dry and crispy and have lots of ant nests. If I keep watering them, will they survive? or do I need to clean up the dead stuff inside (and the ant nests)? The trees are very tall about 15ft. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need to clean up the dead branches inside of a juniper t

hey

hard to tell w/o a pic ...

but if the green is attached to the brown inside.. one might suggest you dont go trimming it all out ...

most trees and conifers are barren on the interior .. and that is normal.. so you can see our conundrum on how to advise w/o pic ..

that said.. if these are your standard monsters .. which were once cute little plants.. planted a foot or two from the house.. then most likely.. its time for them to go ...

ants dont nest in trees .. so i am confused by that...

but my bottom line usually comes down to the fact that this is .. presumably .. the front of your new house.. and you should not do long term renovations out front.. and you should get rid of the prior owners mistakes.. and start afresh ...

a pic MIGHT change my mind..

ken

o
RE: Do I need to clean up the dead branches inside of a juniper t

Just for completeness' sake, carpenter ants do some tree nesting. Not at all to say that's what OP is observing though.

And yes, interior brown stuff is normal in most conifer species, especially prevalent now that fall is near. As far as "keep watering", do they need water? Is the soil dry-drier than is typical for this time of year-in your area? If these are full-grown, and junipers fordachrisake, I'd not think they'd need supplemental watering.

More info please.........+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here