Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Looking for a replacement

ricksample
11 years ago

Looking for a replacement for my Picea pungens 'Glauca Globosa'. It's an eye sore to me & I'm unsure if it can be saved. It goes up maybe 3" off the ground then back at a 1:00 angle with very few branches. It's dark now and I will try to get a picture later tonight. Meanwhile I've narrowed it down to two I think.

Picea Pungens 'St. Mary's Broom'

Picea Pungens 'R.H. Montgomery'

The spot is around 5' x 5' In front you will find Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact', to the left you will find Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Lemon Twist', to the right nothing, behind is my house.

I'm looking for something that will rise above 'Sherwood Compact'. I'm not sure the size of 'St. Mary's Broom', some say 1" per year others say 3". For those that have both, which is the bluest?

Comments (17)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

I don't think 'St. Mary's Broom' would rise above the 'Sherwood Compact'. Likely pretty similar.

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' in an Iowa garden. Age unknown.

{{gwi:599054}}

My 12 year old 'St. Mary' Broom'

{{gwi:251221}}

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would say st marys is about 2 inches per year.. you can see it in junkies pic ...

girards dwarf about 3 .. and the other one about 3.5 .. oh thuem [sp???] ...

montgomery is pretty common for your collection ...

look forward to the pic. .

ken

• severnside
    11 years ago

I'd go for another 'Globosa'.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics tj, It doesn't have to rise much taller than Sherwood Compact. I just don't want to put a smaller plant behind a larger one. My 'Sherwood Compact' is about 4 years old (I've had it for almost 2 years) and is only around 4" x 7" across. I've read that this plant should grow to be around 1.5' x 1.5' in 10 years.

Ken-
    See the link below for my source of 'St. Mary's Broom'. It looks almost like 3" a year which would be great. But you're correct, tj's pick looks like it's growing a little slower. Also thanks for the other suggestions, I was considering 'Thume', but I couldn't find a supplier.

I was hoping more for 'St. Mary's Broom' since it's not as common as montgomery. But if it doesn't grow at least 2-3" it wouldn't get taller than the conifer in front.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dans

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Severnside - I would, but would hate to replace it with the same conifer especially since I already have 2 of these not including the one being replaced. 'Globosa' is a great conifer for me (which is why I have more than one), I like that it holds it's blue color very well and looks great all year next to yellows & reds.

If the 'Globosa' in this spot could be trained, I may leave it. But if I could find a suitable replacement it'll be nice to have something a little different.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

If you want to spend a few extra bucks and SMB is too small, splurge and get the superior selection that has a slightly faster growth rate, SJB. 'St. Joseph's Broom' is offered in a 2 gallon container at Conifer Kingdom and is primo.

Otherwise you can go value (but you may need to buy a min.) and get a 2 gallon Globosa for $25 or so from Western Evergreen.

{{gwi:758834}}

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow whaas I would love to have that for this spot! With the baby on the way in 6 weeks, the wife would kill me if I spent $80 on a single conifer lol. I'm splurging just for one conifer to plant this fall along with all the ones I have sitting around here from spring.

Well here is the conifer in question. Planted Fall 2011. When it arived it was very sick looking. The needles were a yellowish green color. This year the yellow went away and the older needles turned green. Then the new growth pushed blue. It only grew about a half inch or so. You can't bend the wood any to bring it back up. I really need this to sit low to the ground so it won't require any plants in front. By the looks of it, if it does come around, it will have that high water look. Might be better off to just spend $30 on either 'St. Mary's Broom', 'Montgomery', another 'Globosa' or something else like these as long as it's available and grows 3" a year.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

If your 'Sherwood Compact' is that small any of the pungens will work as they should be 8-12 inches tall from the get-go even with a small one.

BTW my SMB grows about 1.5-2 inches a year. Ballpark size now is 18" high and 36" wide.

tj

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Rick,

You might want to hunt down a Picea pungens 'Burl' or a Picea abies 'Uncle Stan'. Shoot an email to Bethlehem Nursery.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Will, what's a 'St. Joseph's Broom?
    I do know the 'St. Mary's Broom'... :0)

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I think I'll give Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom' a shot. It's a little slower growing, but as TJ said above the SMB looks to be at least around 10" tall. The conifer in front is only around 4" tall. If they grow the same rate, the SMB should always be a little taller. If not I could do a little pruning or move the plant in front if it gets to large.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I think I'll give Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom' a shot. It's a little slower growing, but as TJ said above the SMB looks to be at least around 10" tall. The conifer in front is only around 4" tall. If they grow the same rate, the SMB should always be a little taller. If not I could do a little pruning or move the plant in front if it gets to large.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

This is what I've been told about SJB...

Plant found by nursery manager, Richard Haslebacher. St. Joseph's Broom is globose with short needles and nodes. It's habit is mounding compared to SMB which is a bit more brittle and prostrate.

Eitherway I think both plants are nice. The SMB's that TJ has are absolutley primo. The picture doesn't do the plant justice.

• severnside
    11 years ago

I think the SMB is a good choice. From the two pics that TJ posted they compliment each other very well in branch size. A good pairing. The SMB's blue is very good. If as you say one just stays ahead of the other that's better than a longer branched form doing more than just tight globe expansion.

• jth97381
    11 years ago

I like 'Blue Pearl' my self. Stays real small for a long time. Let me know if you want a pic.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picea pungens 'Blue Pearl' is one of my favorites, I was lucky enough to snatch up a small one this past spring. Just a small one about 3" round, but I love the blue color of it. Do you have a larger one? The largest I've seen is the one I have lol.

My SMB should be in around Wednesday I think... can't wait to see what it since this will be my only fall conifer purchase.

• jth97381
    11 years ago

My Picea pungens 'Blue Pearl' last summer. About 30" across.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County