Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ireena_7

My Pinetum slowly formed...

I have not been long time in the forum... Now I am back with new pictures. There was not much to show in the past. Just work ... :)

My Pinetum now is one year and two months old... I promised to show you how it is formed:) Mostly I planted resistant and large in future trees - to make my Pinetum basis, "skeleton":)

The area is very large and I should be able to predict how it will look in the future. It requires a lot of time - to visualize the picture... I do not like to draw plans and schemes. All I do, I do by my feelings and senses.

It all starts in June 2013. My conifer collection grew to about 550 pieces and had to think of a place where it can all be planted.

At first, there was a wild overgrown meadow. Much of the time took to mow it all and clean...

And now -

And my "backyard" - just start planted too...

Stones in my "witches'forest":)

Here are a lot of work, I can not manage to do it all at once. My only assistant is my husband... And two red setters:) My husband moves the grass and bushes, I dig holes and plant conifers... Sometimes, when the tree is too big for me, we can do it together. Now we plant already 184 conifers. About 350 still waiting...:)

Ireena

Comments (19)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Great pix and welcome back. You need to hitch the dogs up like horses (they look like they eat like horses) and have them help move things around.

Nothing witchy about that forest. Looks like a nice place for a walk.

tj

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Ireena.

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

It is beautiful, Ireena.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was just thinking of you last week .. i am so glad you checked back in ...

your work is paying off ... congrats ...

why do you mow the whole thing??? .. think about mowing around your plants.. like future beds ... but otherwise leaving large portions unmown as meadow/wildflower beds ... just mowing paths around for your and the dogs enjoyment ...

this also keeps the wildlife from your prized plants... as most of the vermin prefer the salad bar known as an unmown field...

properly done.. it can be a magnificent landscape .... i have one half acre of my 5.. simply left unmown ... its a spectacular scape of various weeds [former horse pasture] ... the whole changes color.. and form all season long ...

it took quite a while.. but i finally came up with a searchable term.. see link ... try to get out of your urban lawn idea... now that you are out in the country .. surrounded by nature ...

and do note.. i am not talking about planting anything.. i am simply encouraging you.. to allow that which is there.. to grow ...

the witch's rocks are really cool ...

please continue.. God's work ...

ken

ps: sometimes i wonder if the language translates ... lol

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jarpe
    9 years ago

Beautiful work! Your pinetum is going to be fantastic...and it allready is!

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the update.
    You and your husband have been busy!
    If I didn't mow or string trim the wilder parts of my garden it would be blackberries, bushes, and trees in very little time.
    The fence is to keep the deer out? Do you have other pests you have to watch out for? The last few weeks deer and elk have been a problem for me.
    Mike

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Glad to see you back on here Ireena, Your pinetum is fantastic and must make for an awesome retreat. Thanks for the update with photos. Kudos

Al

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

I noticed you moved some large rocks out of the forest and in to your Pinetum. I move rocks around also. I hook a chain to my truck and an old tire. Then roll the rock on to the tire and drive away to where I want to put the rock. It doesn't work too good when it's muddy though.
    By rolling the rock on to the tire I don't have to lift it up to the bed of my truck or trailer and can move larger rocks that way.
    Mike

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Love it! As others mentioned thanks for taking the time to post pics.

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Hi Ireena,

Your place has much movement with plants & dogs but I do not see a photo of you digging a hole :) I like your fence (very much!) and the new color of your home also very much.

Continue on...

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

This is very nice work - thank you for the tour! It looks like you are creating a joyous beauty that you will become more and more enjoyable year by year!

Probably you've mentioned this previously, but I was wondering what the native trees are in the woods.

-Alex

• unprofessional
    9 years ago

Once you get your pond in, I have an EU source of great waterlilies for you.

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for these words of appreciation, David, Wannabe, Jarpe, Al, Whaas!! It is very nice to me:)

I need to write a novel to answer to you all:)

Tj, my dogs knows how to dig holes .... but eat like horses, indeed... About the forest - my mother does not like this forest and she called it such. I love it and plan to plant some shade tolerant plants there.

Ken, I understand your views... I like nature gardens a lot! But my âÂÂurban lawnâ area is only 1/6 part of my meadow and maybe 1/10 part of my all property:) My meadow was too wild and I need to mow,
    otherwise itâÂÂs all overgrow with bushes, birches and alders. All large meadow mowed a neighbor with a tractor once a year. My husband mowed the only place where I plant my trees and around the house... The fence has been around only a small part of the meadow around the house. Set the fence around the entire property is too expensive for me. And all valuable trees I plants inside. Outside I plant Picea abies cultivars, Pinus sylvestris... and so on ... So enjoy the wild flowers and grasses I can fully:) Thank you for advices! I certainly appreciate it:)

Mike, thanks. This fence is more meant for my dogs:) Last winter there was nothing destroyed. ThereâÂÂs not a deers, roe deers only. But my trees they were not eroded ... I also did not see their footprint in the snow. But the protection is not redundant. Thank you for advice - about the rocks moving! I will tell my husband about this idea:)

Dax, you do not see a photo where I digging holes, because at this time I digging the hole, not photographed selfie:) My digging and planting record is 7 holes and 7 trees in the one day. Here I am - after digging:) -

About the fence - thanks, but I do not like that the it restricts the part of meadow .. And divides it... But by the time it will not be so visible. When trees grow larger...

Alex, thanks about your nice words:) About the native trees in my forest - there are Picea abies, Pinus sylvestris, Betula pendula, Acer platanoides, Ulmus laevis, glabra, Alnus glutinosa, Alnus incana, Salix caprea, Salix alba, Salix viminalis, Populus tremula...

Unprofessional, thank you for the offer. But I do not know if it will be in my power... To dig the pond... Perhaps ever will be:)

This really is a place where you can hide and run away from everything. Here I feel happy:)

Ireena

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Ireena, I have a sailboat. I will probably never fix it up and sail it. Kind of like your pond. :-)
    We're not completely giving up hope though, are we?
    Ahhh, dreams.
    Mike

• blue_yew
    9 years ago

Very nice collection keep up the good work

• gardener365
    9 years ago

Hi Ireena, I like your photo; you wear colorful clothing. I wonder the pine species and cultivar though. Pinus peuce?

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Dax, Mike and William:)

Dax, it is Pinus peuce 'Latgale'.WB was founded in Latvia about 50 years ago.... Very slow grower. I have four:)

Ireena

• sluice
    9 years ago

Looks like heaven!

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

More up close pics and names would be nice!