Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oldest tree in Sweden

Posted by red50 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 6:13

Something else that I stumbled upon.

I expected to see a very large tree, so the picture & info was surprising. I didn't know that any conifers would regenerate from the roots.

red50/Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: World's Oldest Living Tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oldest tree in Sweden

Since spruce trees can multiply with root penetrating braches, they can produce exact copies, or clones. The tree now growing above the finding place and the wood pieces dating 9,550 years have the same genetic material.

I didn't know they could clone themselves vegetatively. So the oldest tree is one of a direct genetic line dating back 9000+ years.

o
RE: Oldest tree in Sweden

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 20:00

I have propagated Picea glauca from cuttings. One bought as a 'Nest Spruce' turned out to be a sheared species. I cut it down after a few years and found one of the branches had rooted to the ground. The branch is still growing.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here