Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Almost lost in cultivation...

coniferjoy
10 years ago

While visiting a garden of a member of the Dutch Conifer Society I rediscovered a conifer I never saw before.

Picea abies 'Glimra'

'Glimra' detail

It was found by Brita Johansson from Sweden in a forest in her neighbourhood.
She spreaded out some scions to her conifer friends and a few landed here in The Netherlands.
One was succesfull propagated and was planted out in a far corner of this garden and was forgotten for a long time.

When I saw it I asked about the name of this beauty.
'Glimra' it was, which is Swedish for 'Light Shine'.
I can imagine why she gave it this name, it looks like it's needles are glowing!

It's new growth is green like the species, later on this special colour will appaer when it's needles are getting hardened off.

This winter I'll try to propagate it, which can lead that it will be availlable in the trade in the next few years...

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Sat, Sep 14, 13 at 6:25

Comments (15)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Very nice specimen. Looks like it has a good growth rate, too.

• Garen Rees
    10 years ago

Oooh, that's nice! I'm going to have to move to Europe just so I can get all these wonderful plants grown to immaculate perfection by you Edwin. You make me jealous. =^)

• fotisr
    10 years ago

Edwin, just spread the word when it's ready for sale and I'll cut one or two down to make place for that one!

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jon, Garen and Fotis!

I think this atractive beauty would be a very nice conifer to plant in a special place in the garden to enjoy it all fall and winter long when the perennials are dying and the decidous plants are losing their leaves.
    It would be a glowing focal point which will make you happy when you're looking at it during the darker days!

The strange thing is that there's no info at all to find about this conifer, not in books and not at the internet.
    I guess this is the only evidence that this cultivar exists...

• sluice
    10 years ago

Nice! I like the shining needles.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Strange that can happen to such a primo selection.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fotis, I'll keep you in mind and will let you know as soon as is wil get released.

Nate, indeed, it's needles has a very special shine.
    To me it's one of the best cultivars ever found of this species.

Will, somethimes it happens that cultivars will slip away slowly.
    This one was never introduced in the trade which is probably the reason that nobody knows it.
    The strange thing is that Brita Johansson wrote a book about conifers in the past but she didn't mentioned the most beautiful one of all which was found by herself...

• sprucebud
    10 years ago

It is a very attractive plant and looks healthy too. I wonder if you can contact Brita Johansson to ask her about it? I believe she introduced a few selections. I do not know which ones specifically - it would be nice to know.
    Whose garden did you visit? It looks very established and interesting from the photo.
    Good luck with the propagating.
    Richard

• jarpe
    10 years ago

Oh! There certainly is something mystical about that conifer. Beautiful plant! Johansson seems to be person behind many lovely conifer specialities!
    Still for examble her nice golden pines are not in market in Sweden or in Finland.( I would buy in heartbeat if they were).

• gardener365
    10 years ago

uncannily beautiful.

Dax

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Again, I missed the latest news!:))

This is a very nice find! I've always been sorry for the beautiful variety disappears. And this is indescribable beauty! I definitely joined the queue:) I love Picea abies - so strong and beautyful plants, our local tree.. My horoscope sign is Picea abies.... I was born in January...

This plant now is on my wish list... Picea abies Elegantissima - too...

I look forward to news of successful grafting... Good luck, Edwin!:)

Ireena

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

I'm gone from the forum for only a few days, and I miss the pictures of a rediscovered conifer??!

Edwin, could you send me photos please, so I too can see this beautiful conifer?

Many thanks in advance. :-)

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Richard, it's the garden of the formerly president of the Dutch Conifer Society, Ronald Vermeulen.

Unfortunately Brita doesn't have an email address, I've to contact her via a letter by post.
    This can take a while before I'll receive an answer back...

She discovered several conifer selections like:
    -Picea abies 'Idun' (bluish witches' broom)
    -Picea abies 'Karlsbo' (juvenile form like P. glauca 'Conica')
    -Pinus sylvestris 'Hexguld' (golden witches' broom)
    -Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld' (yellow needles)
    -Pinus sylvestris 'Vargguld' (yellow needles)
    -several Pinus sylvestris witches' broom seedlings.

Jari, this year I've several Pinus sylvestris 'Trollguld' availlable, I'll send you one next spring.
    The 'Vargguld' will be grafted this winter.

Thanks Dax, it's great that you also like this special one :0)

Ireena, where have you bin, let me guess, hmmm at your new to build Pinetum? ;0)
    It's good to know that my horoscope sign is a Picea abies, I was born in January too :0)

Picea abies 'Elegantissima' is a beauty as well, put it on your list for next year, I've some small one's in a two litre pot...

Sam, how come you were gone, did you've to bring your boss to the airport? ;0)

You can see the pics again just by clicking at the place were they used to be.
    I don't understand Photobucket, a week ago I received a message that I was near my to use amount of bites.
    Today I received another one that I exited this amount, this while I didn't post one since last saturday...strange.
    Well, it's all about the money, because they told me that I can buy some extra bites to post more photo's.
    But this is not gonna to happen! ;0)

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

You can view the pictures if you click them, then reload the photobucket page they're on.

• monkeytreeboy15
    10 years ago

Ah, yes, that is quite a delightful coloration, indeed!
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

-Sam

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting