Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
searching a upright conifer less than 6 meter height

Posted by didier007 Belgium (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 7:57

Hi Everybody,

I am looking for a conifer to place in front of my house, that must have the following characteristics :
height at adult age between 2 and max 6 meter height (no known specimen may be higher than 6 meter)
upright habit, not dwarf
the thinner, the better
color : green or blue-green, but not fully blue or yellow (aurea)

To date, I only found "abies koreana" or "abies koreana silberlocke" meeting these criteria.

Do anybody have some suggestions for me ?

I personnally appreciate very much the habit of "Tsuga Mertensiana", but the native species is to high. Do anybody know if there is a cultivar thin and not exceeding 6 meter ?

Thank you very much,

Didier

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: searching a upright conifer less than 6 meter height

• Posted by dcsteg 5b Shawnee, KS. (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 9:17

Didier,

What you are asking for is not possible.

Nothing I am aware of especially upright specimen species will grow to 6m (20 ft.) and stop growing.

In other words they grow till they die.

Abies koreana and 'Silberlock' a slow growing cultivar can top 20 ft.

'Silberlock' can be pruned to stabilize growth only for a time.

Dave

See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: searching a upright conifer less than 6 meter height

I do wish people who sell conifers had the right info and would inform their customers that a) there is no such thing as a dwarf conifer and b) do NOT plant them in front of the house. They need space to grow and for their roots to explore when mature. So many misplaced conifers in gardens round here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here