Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dhd47

Giant sequoia or could it be a juniper

dhd47
9 years ago

Greetings
I had found a tree growing in my area (mid-Atlantic) that really looks like it is a giant sequoia. The problem I have is not being sure it is a giant sequoia or could it be a juniper that looks like the giant sequoia? I think I recall seeing a juniper that looks like it had the same foliage as the GS but I'm not sure.
Can anyone tell me if there ksa juniper that looks like a GS and if so how do you tell the difference?
If this is a GS can I propigate it from a cutting?

Thank you.
DhD

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

compare with juniper viginiana ....

its invasive in some areas .. probably yours.. if its a free range seedling ...

and native in others ... whats that all about ...

once you ID ... and a pic will get you the ID ... then you can google propagation of such ...

is there any indication it was planted by a collector of some kind... i wouldnt expect such growing wild.. on the east coast ....

ken

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The Sierra redwood has a characteristic heavy trunk coated in distinctive fibrous, reddish bark and thicker shoots than those of junipers. Its leaves also tend to be larger and thicker than those of many junipers, but this will vary with which juniper is being compared to and how old and developed the Sequoia is - a young specimen will of course not have full-sized leaves.

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

Could you post a picture?

Does it have any fruit? Juniper viginiana has tiny blue gray "berries". Giant sequoia should have cones, right?

The trick is, only female Juniper viginiana have the berries.

Juniper viginiana has shredded looking bark. Not sure how that compares to the fibrous bark of seqoia...sounds similar looking.

• qwade
    9 years ago

Here is a zone 6b (Nj) Giant sequoia. Notice the missing / dead branches to the right. Blight, the reason why yours is unlikely a GS. Very few are grown here.

• qwade
    9 years ago

A younger one. Similar zone, same blight problems. Does your tree look like these? This ones a newer cultivar 'Hazel Smith' I beleive.

This post was edited by qwade on Fri, Sep 19, 14 at 19:05

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

And this is an Eastern Red Cedar, the most common East Coast Juniper that can be confused with a seqoia.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eastern Red Cedar

This post was edited by edlincoln on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 23:16

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know or really think it's not a Eastern Red Cedar. The leaves or green needles are much bigger. I will try to get a better photo.

The tree is planted on the local government center property. This isn't really just growing in the wild.

What do you need photographed for best id. Branches or trunk or both, a photo of the entire tree help?
    Dave

• edlincoln
    9 years ago

If it has any cones or fruit, photograph them, that would be best. (And you can try to propagate it by seed) Also close ups of the bark and the needles.

You are right, if it is a a government building that increases the chance of it actually being a redwood. I think people were picturing it as something you saw in the woods.

This post was edited by edlincoln on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 12:35

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago
  • sam_md
    9 years ago

Cryptomeria japonica If you go to the bonsai pavillion at the Nat'l Arboretum you can see a whole grove of them just to the side of the pavillion.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been wanting to get to the Nat'l Arboretum for years but still have not. The sad thing is it's only down the road with me in Northern VA.

• dhd47
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm looking up Cryptomeria japonica but there are so many different variaties it is hard to tell what one it is. I'll need to keep looking but I guess it will proprogate from a cutting from what I've read.

DhD

• bil Bill
    last year

Usually you can tell if the tree is larger its shaped sorta like a pear a Giant sequoia with its foliage