Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arbor Vitae getting too big

Posted by bacwebs 4 - VT (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 8:09

Someone told me that I could cut the tip of my Arbor Vitae off and it will not grow larger, and retain it's conical shape. Is that true? If not, how can I keep it in bounds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arbor Vitae getting too big

all trees.. which conifers are.. will put up new leaders.. in a matter of time ...

how about a pic.. i cant give you an opinion on keeping something in bounds .. when i dont know what the bounds are ... nor what the actual plant is ... there are many arbs to choose from ..

at least give us some more facts ...
ken

o
RE: Arbor Vitae getting too big

They don't stop growing, as with anything else you cut back, it will regrow.

Any pics? If it's getting to large, it needs to be taken out before it becomes a problem down the road. The only way to keep it the size it is now is to trim the new growth once a year which will stop it from getting larger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here