Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Picea pungens 'Glauca Pendula

A very unstable cultivar as you all know. There are no two alike and the look you can achieve with this cultivar are endless.

Planted in 2002. 3 ft. tall with a 45 degree lean on the top 1 ft. of the main leader. It was promptly staked for height for 10 years and then left to free range.

The first photo taken late Spring of 2012. I decided it was time to give it its freedom and see where it goes. The stake you seen on the main leader was from 2011 and was removed. It didn't take long to resume its natural, anything goes, growing habit with a turn to the left.

Spring of 2013. As you can see the change from being staked to its natural growth habit is dramatic.

{{gwi:682743}}

A Summer 2013 night time photo.

September 2014.

I will continue a yearly update on this cultivar.

Thanks for looking and any questions or comments are welcome.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 9:01

Comments (7)

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

Thanks for the series. The leader seems to be pointing upwards. Waiting to see what it does. I bought this plant after seeing yours.

• Garen Rees
    9 years ago

I seriously never get tired of looking at this tree. Glad to see a new photo this year. Letting it go at that point made such a great shape. I bought one too after seeing yours. =)

• jarpe
    9 years ago

Yes, this cultivar is really magical. Like from another world. And yes...now iôm gonna buy one too after seeing yours.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

This tree is a work of art! I've said it before, but this is my favorite conifer...too bad I can't manage to grow it myself. I got one from Porterhowse that had the stunning blue like yours, but it was dead in 2 months. I bought another from CK as a BP, it too started dropping needles, so I sprayed it with fungicide. Hoping it will recover, but it doesn't seem to have the stunning blue color that yours or my first one had...

Thanks for sharing the updated pictures

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    9 years ago

Dave, Your 'Glauca Pendula" is one smokin hot conifer.

Al

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

That sure is a beautiful tree! Now I want one too. I see you have it planted pretty close to the driveway. How wide does this tree get?

Linda

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Nice series of shots, Dave. Thanks. And yes, do keep us updated.

tj

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living