Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mox1_gw

Need your advice: To chop or to limb up?

mox1
10 years ago

I just bought this house in Colorado and there is a blue spruce which has been planted too close to the house. So, to chop it down or to limb up is the question. Pros of chopping: It's now out of the way and makes room for a more appealing placement of another tree/trees. Cons: Lose valuable protection from fierce sunshine on southwest corner of non-air conditioned house, plus in winter it helps insulate from the cold. Also gives privacy to very exposed house. Pros of limbing up: Saves the beautiful tree, allows for the shelter and shade and privacy, keeps an asset of mature tree. Cons: Might look pretty ugly as this particular tree is rather round and not so conical. I can deal with it looking somewhat ugly but am not going for ridiculous. Also note: The Mugo Pine to the south is on death row and will be gone Tuesday. The photos aren't great but I think you will get the idea. I think once the Mugo is gone there will be enough space for the Spruce to live and look somewhat normal. You may be able to tell that I am trying to convince myself that limbing up will be fine and that I can keep her! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Spruce conundrum

This post was edited by mox1 on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 9:24

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?