Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

Any pics showing the growth rate of thuja green giant?

lindsroc
10 years ago

I have seen posts about how big they get, just wondering if anyone has pics from planting and then as they have grown?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you dont have a big enough lot for such ....

and there are very many named varieties that grow more slowly

ken

• thetman
    10 years ago

I have a few , but will have to wait until I get home to get the pics. I've planted hundreds and they are not all equal for sure. Some get alot fatter, while others seem to be much thinner but grow at a faster rate. But one thing I have no idea is how big they will all grow. I mean I have never seen a mature green giant personally and from the pictures on the internet I don't think I have seen one that is mature ( the so called 50-60 ft height) they are supposed to get.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would swear.. they grow from the minute the ground thaws... here in MI ..... until it freezes again ...

so how can anyone really compare annual growth rates... between zones???

my 3 inch rooted sprigs.. were 15 feet tall in 10 years ...

ken

• thetman
    10 years ago

Ken I think your right- especially after heavy or extended rainfall then the sun comes out-it seems they just take off after that. All I know is that they may not be the most exciting tree out there- but to me they have proven the most dependable. Pests, snow, heat, cold...nothing seems to bother them, they keep on trucking. If only all conifers were like that. The 3ft.growth in one year I have witnessed- but its basically just the long extended leader that shoots for the sky, but its still growth.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Mine were planted in spring 2011... each of the last 2 years they put on about 1' of growth a year. Which is good for me... the 3-5'/year that some websites claim would be to fast for the location I have them in. I don't see them growing that fast.... more hype and the sellers trying to sell you a faster growing tree than anything... Just a sales pitch. I know before I planted mine I contacted a couple companies. One company had a price match policy... they would give a better price than there competitors. I gave them a link to the cheaper 1 gallon green giants. In the link it stated they grow 3'/year. They wouldn't match the price because on there website it say's they grow 5' a year. They said there green giants grow faster therefore they charge more. What's that about? lol.

They do get big... given enough time. Even in the right zone, I don't see them growing that fast. But they will need plenty of room.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Previous discussion brought out that those rates were being achieved inside greenhouses.

A hedge row of âÂÂGreen Giantâ was planted on the grounds of the U.S. National Arboretum in 1998. At the time of installation, the trees were 3 �" 3 ý feet tall on 6 ý foot centers. Ten years later, the trees stand 18 �" 20 feet tall and 8 feet wide

Here is a link that might be useful: A Jolly 'Green Giant' Spotted at the National Arboretum

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 1:20