Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_1_2006

hemlock trees

annie_1_2006
17 years ago

I have 5 six-year-old large hemlocks on the border of my back yard. I look at them so often out my kitchen window and they have been growing and thriving ... until just this past month when I have noticed that one of them is becoming a much lighter green color than the others. They have always all been a darker green. It looks healthy otherwise. Can anybody give me any idea why this may be happening?

Comments (12)

• conifers
    17 years ago

Well it all starts in the roots if thought about 'backwards'.

Yellowing can be a sign that the plants' roots are not in well drained soil. Can also be a sign of higher than normal ph levels (conifers are acid-loving plants - low ph).

Since it isn't browning/burning as an aftermath - I'd be inclined to suspect that it could be one of these two.

Don't rely on my guess, however. I know nothing of your soil (structure and/or nutrient deficiences, etc, etc. that exist within) or for that matter where it is you live in the US, which necessarily wouldn't help me to determine, but there are people on this forum who could venture a better evauluation should more information become known.

Dax

• annie_1_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Yes, we had thought about the root system, but, then, why aren't the other trees turning a lighter green? They are right beside each other and we can't figure that out. We live in PA, the trees are in a well-drained area ... although we did have a dry summer. Also, the hemlocks are well established so we didn't think the dry weather would be a problem. This tree is right smack in the middle of a line of 5 trees. They give us and our neighbors a bit of privacy. If this one hemlock dies, it's gonna be hard to replace ... plus, it will look kinda funny... Woe is we!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

If you're worried about losing these trees, be vigilant about wooly adelgid damage. You can save a tree under attack, but it costs about $300 per tree.

• annie_1_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your response to my post.

Yes, we are worried about losing them but are hoping they will hang in there. We did go out today and inspect very carefully for the woolly adelgids and saw absolutely nothing like that. We did notice something new on all five of the hemlocks this year; they all have little pinecones growing on them. We were surprised! However, we continue to be concerned about the middle tree being a lighter green than the rest. We continue to accept any and all suggestions. Thanks so much to all of you for your advice; we appreciate it.

• learnbydoing
    17 years ago

Even though trees may be next to one another does not mean they will all react the same way. Ever drive by a tree farm and see hundreds of trees with only a few dead ones?

My advice is to focus on the one tree and try to determine what's wrong with it. I don't know if you have Canadian Hemlock. If you do, they are EXTREMELY sensitive to drought.

If you have wooly adelgid, it's easy to spot. It looks like white spots, particularly on the underside of the branches. There are some simple treatments. Bayer chemical makes a systemic product. You mix it with water and pour it around the base of the tree. It protects the tree for 12 months. A bottle of the stuff to treat several trees costs about $ 25.

If I were you, I would cut a small branch off the problem tree and a branch off a good tree. Take the branches immediately to a garden center or to a County Conservation Extension Office to ask for advice. Protect the branches from heat and excessive sunlight so they don't dry out before viewed by the experts. Advice on the problem is free from these experts.

Hope this helps.

• annie_1_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello learnbydoing,

Thank you for your post. We will do what you suggest and take the branches and a photo of the trees to a garden center to get their opinion. We will keep you informed ...

• interloper5
    17 years ago

Does the lighter green one get more sunlight than the others ? I notice that shaded Hemlocks are much darker green that ones in the sunny locations

• mersiepoo
    17 years ago

Hi! Sorry to hear about your tree being 'green'. I love hemlocks, they are so pretty! Something that is supposed to smother spider mites is called "neem" oil. It's made from a tree in india and is considered 'organic'. You can buy it in many online garden catalogs. I have not seen it for sale in garden centers, but you might be able to find it. I've seen it for sale in Gardens Alive catalogs too. They are on the 'net as well. If the spider mites aren't the reason that your tree is turning lighter, maybe ask the county extension person about getting soil samples taken. If it's not the spider mites that are the problem. Good luck!

• GregHambone
    10 years ago

Hi - New to this community but I found this after inquiring about my hemlock (Canadian) turning yellow. My concern is very similar to the original author of this string. I have 7 year old hemlocks - 9 of them in a row, in PA, one is yellowing. The other ones are fine. My environment holds a lot of water. Here's my question - Do you think Holly Tone will help control this problem? I did Holly Tone for the first five years and then dropped that effort.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Greg, if your soil is indeed too alkaline for this species-and there's no way I can know that-then yes, an "acid lover"-type fertilizer could help. Be aware that while it's not too awful difficult to raise or lower soil pH, it is very difficult to maintain whatever change you've made. Soil has a property called "buffering capacity" which, to put it simply, means that as soon as whatever material is being used to change the pH is depleted, that soil will immediately and steadily revert back to what it was before. Therefor, if it's change in soil pH you seek, you have to keep at it for years.

+oM

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Greg, look for the woolly adelgid -- whitish "fluff" on the undersides of the needles/stems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woolly adelgid

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?