Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olive51

Thuja Green Giant, Emerald Green or Nigra for hedge?

olive51
9 years ago

I live in Atlanta and have a six foot high solid fence running north to south on the side of my property. I live on the west side of the fence and want to plant an evergreen privacy hedge there to screen my view of my neighbor's home and dampen some traffic noise.

There is 7 feet of space between the fence and a concrete walkway. The east side of the trees will get shade until around 10 AM and from then on they will be in full sun until around 6 PM. Of course, the east side of the trees will get no sun from 6 feet to the ground.

I would like to plant something that I can keep to around 8 feet diameter or less, and that will grow to at least 15 feet tall and up to around 20 feet tall.

I am considering Green Giant Arborvitae (too wide?), Nigra Arborvitae, Emerald Green (not tall enough?) Mary Nell Holly. It sounds like these Arbs will tolerate "some" shade, but how much is some? Will the east side from 6 feet to ground turn brown?

The previous owner planted a row of leyland cypress six feet apart and they are taking over the world. I have to spend $$$ to remove the leylands, so really want to get this right!

I know Mary Nell is not a conifer, but I read that it is tolerant of many conditions.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (4)