Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small Fir Tree

Posted by trixie_nc z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 10:29

In Dec 2010, I purchased a Christmas tree(believed to be a fir) in a grocery store to bring some Christmas spirit to my Mother's nursing home room. She passed away before Christmas 2010 and I brought it home. The tree is doing great. I have it outside right now in a pot and will bring it in for the winter. I plan to put it in the ground next fall. It is about 4ft tall now. It currently has 2 additional trees coming up (attached to the roots of the main tree). My question is whether I should remove those to enable the main tree to look better and possibly thrive more when I plant it. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small Fir Tree

there are many plants sold as indoor xmas trees.. so the first thing we must do.. is properly ID it ...

either you have a tag with a latin name on it..

or you need to give us some pix.. so the good peeps here can ID it ...

then we can tell you how to care for it.. etc ...

and please explain.. why it cant go outdoors now.. rather than next fall???

and where are you in NC???

ken

o

Thanks Ken. I am in Charlotte. I just wanted it to get a little bigger before I put it out in the big bad world. No other real reason for the delay to next year. It seems I can only post one pic at a time so here's the first. Subsequent pics in follow up message.

o

close up shot

o

pic of the extra trees coming from the bottom

o

norfolk island pine ...

see link

zone 10-11 ...

its a house plant ...

looks pretty happy.. no clue why you want to mess with it.. regarding cutting things off ...

i dont know about repotting..

got rid of mine years ago.. when it hit the ceiling...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Well dang. Really thought it could go outside. Thank you so much Ken for saving me from mourning this pine when it died outside. I will repot, bring it in for the winter and watch it grow to the ceiling. And, I will leave the extra trees alone. Thanks again!!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 14:22

Almost certainly three separate seedlings planted together to produce a denser effect, improve sales appeal. This is common with greenhouse pot crops, also seen sometimes with outdoor stock. Cut the two smaller ones off.

o

Well dang. Really thought it could go outside. Thank you so much Ken for saving me from mourning this pine when it died outside. I will repot, bring it in for the winter and watch it grow to the ceiling. And, I will leave the extra trees alone. Thanks again!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here