Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cederus Atlantica Glauca Pendula

Posted by gamekeeper 5b,N.H. (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 12 at 10:45

Checking out the local nursery I found a nice plant on sale,cheap.It is marked zone 6 but the prop.said it would be fine in our zone 5b.Any thoughts or suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cederus Atlantica Glauca Pendula

it died in my z5 ...

took 2 or 3 years of slowly wasting away.. until it got so ugly.. i put it out of MY misery ...

its all about your WINTER micro climate ... it will not appreciate cold winter winds.. especially combined with thawing winter sun ... [meaning it thaws during the day.. and re-freezes at night with bad wind]

IMHO.. its all about the bargain.. and your ability to cope with losing it ...

if you are one of those.. like me.. 'if anyone can do it.. i can do it' types ... go for it.. maybe you can ...

some say you arent really a gardener until you have killed every plant 3 times ...

but if you are a worrier ... and this will potentially drive you insane with worry.. skip it.. it isnt worth the 'bargain' ...

and do note.. it isnt even worth the warranty.. because mine held on long enough for that to expire ...

ken

o

Thanks Ken,kind of thought that would be the case.Planted it in a spot that I am rehabing and have in my mind it maybe a micro-climate.Having your opinion is great so I am prepared.Now if it makes it great and if not I won't be disappointed.
Peter

o

• Posted by ademink z5a-5b Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 18, 12 at 13:36

Zone 5 and I am on my....8th-ish year now with it, I think. Actually 2 of them. They have lived through both mild and hellish Winters. I say go for it!

o

you aren't a gardener till you killed every plant three times... great, i'm a gardener, almost... i hate evergreens and their wind protection needs when i have still no wind protection spots ready..venting

amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here