Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Summer Son' & 'Gold Dust'

Posted by coniferjoy 10 (info@edwinsmitsconifers.com) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 10:49

A couple of years ago I found two "differend" one's between my Pinus mugo var. mughus seedlings:
Pinus mugo 'Filip's Summer Sun'
The needles of this one are a golden in summer which will slowly change into an orange colour in autumn.
Pinus mugo 'Filip's Summer Sun'

Pinus mugo 'Filip's Gold Dust'
It looks like a fairy tale elf sprinkled some golden dusty flakes on it's needles which will gave it a very special appaerence...
Pinus mugo 'Filip's Gold Dust'

Both are now two year old grafts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Summer Son' & 'Gold Dust'

The title should be written as 'Summer SUN' & Gold Dust'...

o
RE: 'Summer Sun' & 'Gold Dust'

Now it's better :0)

o

OK joy.. that totally cracks me up..

you corrected yourself ... !!!!

hilarious ...

i like the gold dust ...

thx for the pix ...

ken

o

the mottling on 'Filip's Gold Dust' is almost suggesting the effect of a viral infection of some sort. Are you certain that it's healthy?

o

Dave, I'm positive that it's healthy.
This is a graft, not the original seedling.
I observed the original seedling for two years and it's not sick or infected.
In Spring the new growth is just green like the species, later on at the end of Summer the gold dust appaerence will show up which will make it special...to me...

o

Fantastic stuff, as usual!

Thanks for sharing.

-Sam

o

I See your 'Gold Dust' and Raise you this un-named mugho selection with curly, variegated needles

Photobucket

o

That's also a nice variegated mugo pine.
I seems that it is more compact then my 'Filip's Gold Dust'.
Is it your selection and how come that it is still unnamed?

o

Yes, It is my selection. Still to young to name. Just fun to show fellow avid conifer collectors. I dont like to name a plant until it can show me some characteristics over time. I would hate to attribute one name while young and then in the future it look completely different. Trying to stay away from a plant name like Pinus cembra 'Blue Mound'. There is nothing mounding about it. However, to me the best part is finding a name. Any suggestions? When you choose a name, how long do you let the name bounce around in your mind. Or maybe it is immediate for you.

I do like your selections. Interesting to see what the branching structure will be over time.

o

Get it propagated though jth. I've made that mistake and had no back-up.

Put a provisional name in parenthesis on it. Can be anything. And when you're ready to name it, then use apostrophes. You can call it i.e. (J#1)

Dax

o

Edwin, I guess for showing us those selections, you already have them availiable for shipment...? Because I won't mind having a 'Gold Dust' in my order as well! :)

Fotis

o

Jth, just a suggestion for the name... Pinus mugo 'Blowzy'

o

Maybe I will graft it this winter. Pretty small. 4 years old all ready and not many nice scions when I checked last winter. Pinus mugho [unnamed curly variegated]. There you go. Now its officially provisional.

o

I LOOOVE Summer Sun. I bet the orange coloring in the fall would be a great statement for our conifer gardens. Beautiful.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 22:26

Look forward to seeing more of these three cultivars!

Edwin, can you show us 'Summer Fun' in a few months as the color intensifies?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here