Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liopleurodon

Progress of my mini conifer garden

liopleurodon
10 years ago

Hi!

I have been off the forum for a while, but as promised here is the current state of my mini conifer garden project. :)
A lot of work has been done but probably even more still needs to be done (tidying up the hedge, adding a walking path, adding more plants, adding other ornamental objects, ...),
but nevertheless I'm very happy with the current result. Especially if you know how the space looked like a few months ago!
Most of the plants are bought from Edwin. They still have the blue naming tag attached but I'm currently in the process to design new naming tags.
I thought about a small distribution map together with their species + cv name.

An overview from one side (minus a meter and two plants behind me which I couldn't get on the same photo).

An overview from the other side:

Some pictures with some of the current beds:
Abies balsamea 'Jamie',
Picea sitchensis 'Pevé Wiesje',
Pinus strobus 'Horsford':

In the foreground: Abies veitchii 'Kramer', Pinus parviflora 'Regenhold':

In the foreground: Abies alba 'Schwarzwald'
In the background: Juniperus communis 'Goldschatz', Pinus mugo 'Milkyway', Abies pinsapo 'Ronda Mountain':

From front to back: Pinus heldreichii 'Smidtii', Abies alba 'Schwarzwald', Pinus cembra 'Lilliput':

And now pictures of all the plants individually:
Picea pungens 'Filip's Blue Compact':

Picea glauca 'Conica':

Pinus strobus 'Horsford':

Picea sitchensis 'Pevé Wiesje':

Abies balsamea 'Jamie':

Pinus banksiana 'Banská Stiavnica':

End of American section

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Mecki':

Abies koreana 'Verdener Dom':

Pinus koraiensis 'Blue Ball':

Larix kaempferi 'Little Bogle':

Abies veitchii 'Kramer':

Pinus parviflora 'Regenhold':

End of Asian section

Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Perfect Column':
{{gwi:804903}}

Juniperus communis 'Goldschatz':

Pinus mugo 'Milkyway':

Abies pinsapo 'Ronda Mountain':

Pinus heldreichii 'Smidtii':

Abies alba 'Schwarzwald':

Pinus cembra 'Lilliput':

End of European section

Thanks for watching!

Alexander

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 12:25

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thx

what is the native soil ...

if it has any capacity to retain moisture.... then you need to pull back the mulch a few inches from the trunk ...

in my very dry mineral sand.... i can get away with how you did it ....

i would also suggest.. some kind of patio for the table ... for stability sake ... i am going to presume.. that is next years project .... even just three bricks for the feet ....

ken

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Looks great, I would have to agree with Ken about the patio. If it were me, I'd go to Home Depot and get a few bags of very small decorative gravel. About the size of a penny or a little larger. I'm just not a fan of walking on or sitting over mulch. I prefer to have the look and feel of a gravel, pavers or something beneath my feet... mulch will compress over time and sitting in it after a rainfall could cause the chairs to sink. other than that small detail, keep up the nice work.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Hi Alexander!
    This is a great start of your mini conifer garden!
    After you finished the walking path, you can also decorate this area with some rocks so all become more beautiful.

Good luck and keep us informed about the progress of your project!

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, Rick and Edwin, thank you for your answers. :)

The native soil is sand-loam, but I mixed the top layer of it with black peat (if that is the correct term for it in English) because the soil was as dead as a dodo (after the bamboo rhyzomes were dug out) and I wanted to give it an overal 3cm rise in height. I tried to bury the plants with the top of their roots level to the ground, but I'll double check it to see I didn't bury any of them too deep; because as you said our soil does not drain very well.

A patio is also on my todo list, together with the walking path so I can make them both the same. I'm not yet decided on which material I'll make them from but gravel is a good possibility.

Adding rocks to it is also a very good idea. Don't know immediately where I could get them from though, but I'll check out our local garden center some time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I tried to bury the plants with the top of their roots level to the ground, but I'll double check it to see I didn't bury any of them too deep;

==>>> here is how i say it... i hope it translates ...

roots go in the ground.. and are made to deal with moisture ... [though even they can have too much wet.. if drainage is improper]

trunks go in the air.. and are supposed to be dry nearly all the time...

i am not talking about depth [though fantastic that you dealt with it] ...

i am talking about not allowing the trunk to stay too wet from damp mulch ...

just pull the mulch back an inch or tow.. to insure such.. it has a way of creeping back ...

with the size of your bark chunks.. it probably is NOT an issue.... just keep an eye on it ...

ken

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Alexander, You're very quickly done a great job! I see that you've spent the summer like me:) Europe is not so big... The familiar blue tags... and familiar plants:)

The hardest are to figure out the composition of the plants and to take into account the distances between them ..

You're started a mini-garden project and its almost done. I set out to "mega project" and and will never finish it, I think...

Good luck, Ireena

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

What a nice tour Alexander, Its always a good feeling to see a project come into the rewarding stage. Youve also got some very impressive cultivars there.
    Best of luck!
    Al

• Cher
    10 years ago

That is a lot of work and a lot of plants. Some great plants you have there and everything looks beautiful.
    Cher

• liopleurodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all very much for your nice comments and compliments! :)

This post was edited by liopleurodon on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 9:15

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions