Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

A most interesting erection

Sorry...had to make the joke because that's exactly what it is.
My Abies pindrow was basically untouched by this winter, other than the leader being lost. I assumed a new one would just form from a bud. But that isn't what happened. I wished I'd photographed the progress, but one of the formerly horizontal branchlets right below the former leader has, all summer, been angling upward. BIg rain events seem to be triggers for another 10 degrees or so. Has anyone observed this before? Looks like it will get close to 90 degrees vertical by the end of the year. The one on the right used to be completely flat, like the one on the left.
(picture in next post)

Comments (12)

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is. Can anyone guess what outline is in the background - hint - another large growing conifer.

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Funny.... I just let my little conifers work out what they do until later. My healthy little Manchurian fir doesn't have a decided leader yet.

The background one might be larch.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, if it wasn't clear...I haven't staked it. It's doing this on its own. What I'm impressed by is that the chemical signalling was able to force only 1 to stand up. I could better understand if both started angling up and would have a battle for the leader position.
    Worth noting that the western Himalayas, mid-elevations, has some snow storms in winter, unlike the eastern mid-elevations. So perhaps A. pindrows have special adaptations to having their leaders broken.
    Nope, not a larch.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you're going to look like this, you better re-establish your leader quickly...could also be Cedrus, but both are native to the area and they are in competition after all.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:804948}}

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 12:10

• bengz6westmd
    9 years ago

Hmm, not larch. It almost looks Virginia pine-ish.

GardenWeb seems awfully slow to load recently. Glacial even. Me or is anyone else noticing it?

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, I don't notice slowness, but I do notice there's some URL trickery that (I'm guessing) somehow tries to reduce the load on their servers by causing your browser to use a cached copy.

For example, for this page I'm seeing this at the end:
    msg0911005826475.html?32441

Sometimes I have to delete what's after "html" to force the page to load the most recent version.

• jarpe
    9 years ago

i notised similar `erectionô at my picea abies cruenta. Bird sat on leader causing it to break, and vertical branch started turning up. Now after 2 years you can bearly notice the spot, trunk seems almost perfectly straight.

• jarpe
    9 years ago

oh,i accidentally wrote vertical. What i ment was that horisontical branch started turning up to take itôs Place as a new leader.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe this is standard for all Pinaceae and I just never noticed it before.
    But I'm pretty sure I've seen other conifers, if they lose a leader, another one sprouts from a tiny bud.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

If the lower shoots are pliable enough, they can become new leaders. Its currently happening on my Cupressus nootkatensis 'Green Arrow' which lost 8-12 inches off the top this past winter. The auxin from a leader affects horizontal growth on side shoots, not sure about how it affects geotropism, but something triggers this response.

tj

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tsugajunkie.
    BTW, the background is Sequoia semprevirens 'Soquel' - 40% burn from this winter almost no longer noticeable, and it still grew about 3'! Never been fertilized!

• pinetree30
    9 years ago

Hormone flow from the leader inhibits vertical growth of branches below.
    Remove the leader and the inhibition is relaxed, mainly in the horizontal shoots closest below the leader.
    The lateral branches will sweep upwards and eventually the strongest one will become the new leader.
    But if the break occurs too far down the tree, the upsweeping branches will be unable to bend all that wood upwards.In that case you get a nicely curved branch eventually bending towards the tree's center of gravity, and then vertically.
    Yes, branches can sprout from dormant buds below an injury, and in pines such buds can develop spontaneously from needle fascicles. If those sprouts appear right where a leader has broken off, they can grow vertically as leader replacements.