Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sharp Cheddar' and 'Eagle Creek' grafts

Posted by dietzjm 4b WI (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 11:04

I sent a bunch of scion to Jason Hupp at Western Evergreen Nursery this winter after I found these two conifers, Picea pungens 'Sharp Cheddar' and Picea mariana 'Eagle Creek'. Yesterday I received ten grafts of each back and couldn't be happier with the results.

Here are some pictures of the final product. I already up-potted most of them into #1 pots where they'll stay through the winter until I can find places (and people) for them all. The potting mix is 66% perlite, ~28% peat, and ~5% compost for good drainage.
IMG_4126

P. pungens 'Sharp Cheddar' grafts, most of them have a light blue push this year, the original plant pushes a cream color:
IMG_4129

IMG_4128

I love the new growth on this one, it's just like the parent plant's:
IMG_4127

Picea mariana 'Eagle Creek' grafts: The original tree had some eastern dwarf mistletoe growing on a couple of the lower branches. Scion was taken from the very top as far away from the EDM as possible. This will need to be evaluated in the coming years to see if it retains the characteristics of the parent.
IMG_4130

IMG_4131

Jason even made up some professional labels:
IMG_4132

If you ever need any custom grafting done in the future, send Jason an email--you won't be disappointed.

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sharp Cheddar' and 'Eagle Creek' grafts

supreme ...

let me know if you have an extra SC ...

ken

o

Save me a SC. Mine kicked the bucket. The rest I gave away!!

Dax

o

They look great. Congratulations on such nice ones to start out with that are your own finds.
Cher

o

Matt, it's very good to see that both finds are successful propagated!

o

Matt, should mention to you that adding compost attracts racoons to literally throw the plants out of the pot. If they do it once, they'll do it every night thereafter until you pot them up w/o compost.

All you need is 2/3 perlite or more and peat. In spring top dress with osmocote or slow release granular miracle grow.

Dax

o

Those look great Matt!

o

You must be proud, and with good reason. Congrats.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here