Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferna_o

Need Help for a Diseased Cypress

Ferna_O
9 years ago

Hello.
I planted this little one from seed, 3 to 4 years ago.
Its a Chilean mountain range Cypress, Pilgerodendron Uviferum, Also known as Cipr�s de las Guaitecas.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgerodendron)

It was growing healthy and beautifull until a few months back, when it started looking depressed. Now its main growing tip looks yellowish and burnt.

I uploaded 3 pictures.
1. Shows the whole little tree.
2. Shows a branch that looks healthy.
3. Shows the main tip. which looks diseased.

I'm no expert, could someone tellme what could be happening, and how could I help this little one?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

can we see a pic of the potting media ... or a description????

when is the last time it was repotted.. how old is the media???

seems awful tall and spindly .... have you been fertilizing it??? .. if so.. how, when and what ...

is there any chance it can be put in the ground???

it appears to be a watering issue.... either too much.. and you have some root rot ...

or not enough during a heat wave ....

chile ... ??? ... you are just coming out of winter??? ... and into spring????

or too much water during winter dormancy.. if any in your area???

ken

• Ferna_O
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Potting media is regular leaf soil mixed with house made compost, though mostly its been developing its root system through the leaf soil.
    The medium has been renewed 2 times since it sprouted, as i said, 3 to 4 years ago.
    I haven't fertilized it, just watered with tap watter when the soil looked dry, as one would do with any plant. It was doing quite well untill a few months when the top started to bend over and lose sustent.
    I can't put it in the ground yet, because i need to find a definitive spot. and by the way, taking it outside seemed to be harmfull/ speed up the rot.
    Yes, we're comming out of winter, the days are starting to be warmer and longer. I thought at first that it was depressed because of winter hardships, but warmer temperature does not seem to be helping it. I watered it just 2 or 3 times during winter. I usually keep my plants on semi-dry soil to prevent root rot and force them to develop robust root systems.
    geez i'd like to know if it can heal out of this state.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    9 years ago

Bad mix. See Al's 5-1-1 mix in the container forum...

• coniferas_br
    9 years ago

Pilgerodendrun likes water, it is native to Chiloe bogs, may be a bit more watering will help.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

well ... you seem to know media... and watering sounds pretty good ... [meaning you are not a complete novice in those regards ...]

but i have to tell you ... your plant.. based on these pix.. looks pretty darn good to me ...

if i didnt have some type of winter damage on all my 600 odd conifers.. i would be wondering why .. lol ...

a little browning of some individual leaves/needles is not that big a deal ...IMHO ...

all i would look at.. is the growth points... that is the future.. and if those are fat and happy ... then the future is set ...

meaning... i would not jump to conclusions that something must be radically changed ... you seem to have been at this plant for 3+ years with success ...... dont go changing everything on some perceived problem ... do not 'love it to death' .....

but i do think.. its time to get it into mother earth.. in the next proper planting time.. of which.. i have no clue for your area ...

i wish you luck

ken

• Ferna_O
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your response.
    Yes, I do not want to do anything drastic.
    Guess I'll just wait and hope it gets to heal.
    If it seems to get worse over time I'll post new pics. The problem might get clearer as it worsens. Lets hope the opposite is what happens.
    Thank you (:

• Ferna_O
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It starting to look better now. Making healthy-looking new branches on top.
    Guess it was just a let down period. (: