Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keefesn1

Deer and Rabbit protection

keefesn1
9 years ago

Does anyone out there also have a very difficult time with deer and rabbits? I plant all these exotic plants, and instead of eating things out of the woods or in the two acres of meadow behind me they tend to go for exotic take out. I need to stop them, any ideas, suggestions or help? I don't want my other three green arrows to end up like this one...

Comments (5)

• sc77 (6b MA)
    9 years ago

Yes! Last year deer ate my entire Tsuga canadensis 'Everitt Golden', and did a decent amount of damage to my Tsuga chinensis and Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Jubilee'.

The deer are only bold enough to attack one side of my yard where my dog cannot access them and it's backed up to the woods, so I only have one area to focus on protecting. I ended up caging mine in chicken wire this year... But did brainstorm a long term solution, which might work for you...

I have heard that staking an area of the garden and then encircling with finishing line is very effective and does not hinder your winter view of your evergreens either. If I always had to hide my conifers under cages each winter, I might as well just collect deciduous trees... defeats the point. I would research and build a perimeter of fishing line around your garden. When the deer bump into the invisible line, they will go nuts and take off...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

see link ...

many peeps spray various things.. often.. for life ... yours or the plants ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

When I first started having deer problems, I researched and tried quite a few things, many of which had no effect or only for a short while. I have concluded that only three things are helpful:
    -A big dog who is out in the yard all the time
    -A fence that is 8' high, if your building code allows it
    -A device I bought on Amazon, called the "Scarecrow" which is a motion sensor hooked up to a garden hose that squirts deer and other animals.

I have about a half dozen of the Scarecrow devices arranged around my yard and it does a pretty good job of annoying the deer and getting them to move off. I've been using them for about 6-7 years. They cost about $50 apiece, and the deer will find their way around them if you have too few. Many people have found them effective, and I've included a link below if you want to check out the reviews.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scarecrow

• DGG1
    9 years ago

I live in deer central. Just on the edge of the national forest. Deep Stopper and Bobbex, both sprays work great but require some commitment. I spray in summer, cage in winter.

8' foot fence works but I am not really into fences.

Scare crow sprinklers work but in my neck of the woods the deer will get used to them rather quickly ( I have watched my sprinkler spraying a deer as it eats a plant, it didn't seem to bother it too much).

I spent the last season testing deer repellant/deterrent products for a local nursery so my advice comes with experience.

Once you have battled deer long enough caging becomes a liberating experience

• baxswoh
    9 years ago

A note on the fishing line. It works for me, but.....

When the deer get spooked they will bolt and break the line. I use 50 lb test and they get tangled and break it. You will have to check the line often after installation. Last winter I repaired the perimeter 3 times. They tend to stay away after being spooked a few times.

I hang socks filled with miloraganite on individual plants. It has prevented early rutting and also prevented winter browsing. It is unattractive to some people to see a sock hanging in a prized conifer, but like you I am in a heavily populated deer area and can live with the bad visual for 5 months.

The rabbits have beaten me. Hate them!