Comments (16)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heres today

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It will be around 100' when finished. Sorry only the phone camera for now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

so i see the first pic.. and i say.. hey.. i am going to tell them how happy an early spring redbud makes me.. a harbinger of things to come, when it warms up ...

slip to the second pic.. and its gone..

whats that all about.. lol ...

otherwise.. looking prime and great..

will you favor us with specimen shots at some time??

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You crack me up Ken.....Im busted!

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Hate the plastic border, but looks like some really prime plantings. It'll be a real show stopper as it all matures.

• botann
    10 years ago

Less lawn is a GOOD thing!
    Mike

• Cher
    10 years ago

Your gardens are always beautiful! Looks fantastic closing the beds together. Like Ken already mentioned, where's the darn Redbud? LOL Lots of work ahead of you to take it on out through the back, but it will be beautiful when you are done.
    Cher

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Un, I have to agree with you on the border material....its temporary but is helping me keep everything manageable for now. The round ones were so i could plant some trees at future grade well in advance of getting top soil in there. Ive got a long way to go yet.

Thanks Chohio and Mike !

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

Al, how high are your beds raised? 8 inches?
    I think some more plants are in your future :)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Wanna, Around 5-6 inches. I planted a number of trees in advance, on the high side, knowing i was gonna bring in top soil and improve my grade. When the new garden reaches one of these trees i raise around the trees with soil and mulch and pop off the rings and have my desired elevation.

Al

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Hi Al,

Your always giving me high five's on my garden

Now it's pay back time. I like your design and selection of conifers and companion plants. Great job.

Now I know why you were interested in how I anchored my brick. I think I know where you are headed when its time to install a permanent border.

By the way before I started my garden I used one 15 and two 5,000 sq ft. bags of fertilizer to cover my lawn. Now I am down to one 5,000sq ft. bag. So yes your lawn will slowly disappear over time.

I am now in the process of combining two islands into one. A new and different look for sure. I'll do a post on that when I am finished. About another two weeks.

Dave

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave,.....Look forward to your island combo!
    Ive got a work in progress that is slow going...but that suits me. Cant wait to see what cultivars you use along with the rocks and other goodies!

Al

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Nice, nice, nice!

Sara

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

You always have nice shots of nice plants, Al. Although I have a few permanent borders, I've removed most. Seems my plants keep growing (in both size and number) and I keep expanding beds and borders keep getting in the way.

Thanks,
    tj

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks tj....point well taken!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I kinda like the bed you had before but the line you follow with the sidewalk looks good too! Less grass, mission accomplished.

Going to be much easier to mow as well.

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County