Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 12:22

I ve had this island for years......this photo is from May 1 of this year

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making changes

Heres today

o

It will be around 100' when finished. Sorry only the phone camera for now.

o

so i see the first pic.. and i say.. hey.. i am going to tell them how happy an early spring redbud makes me.. a harbinger of things to come, when it warms up ...

slip to the second pic.. and its gone..

whats that all about.. lol ...

otherwise.. looking prime and great..

will you favor us with specimen shots at some time??

ken

o

You crack me up Ken.....Im busted!

o

Hate the plastic border, but looks like some really prime plantings. It'll be a real show stopper as it all matures.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 14:26

Less lawn is a GOOD thing!
Mike

o

Your gardens are always beautiful! Looks fantastic closing the beds together. Like Ken already mentioned, where's the darn Redbud? LOL Lots of work ahead of you to take it on out through the back, but it will be beautiful when you are done.
Cher

o

Hey Un, I have to agree with you on the border material....its temporary but is helping me keep everything manageable for now. The round ones were so i could plant some trees at future grade well in advance of getting top soil in there. Ive got a long way to go yet.

Thanks Chohio and Mike !

o

Al, how high are your beds raised? 8 inches?
I think some more plants are in your future :)

o
RE: making more changes

Hi Wanna, Around 5-6 inches. I planted a number of trees in advance, on the high side, knowing i was gonna bring in top soil and improve my grade. When the new garden reaches one of these trees i raise around the trees with soil and mulch and pop off the rings and have my desired elevation.

Al

o

Hi Al,

Your always giving me high five's on my garden

Now it's pay back time. I like your design and selection of conifers and companion plants. Great job.

Now I know why you were interested in how I anchored my brick. I think I know where you are headed when its time to install a permanent border.

By the way before I started my garden I used one 15 and two 5,000 sq ft. bags of fertilizer to cover my lawn. Now I am down to one 5,000sq ft. bag. So yes your lawn will slowly disappear over time.

I am now in the process of combining two islands into one. A new and different look for sure. I'll do a post on that when I am finished. About another two weeks.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave,.....Look forward to your island combo!
Ive got a work in progress that is slow going...but that suits me. Cant wait to see what cultivars you use along with the rocks and other goodies!

Al

o

Nice, nice, nice!

Sara

o

You always have nice shots of nice plants, Al. Although I have a few permanent borders, I've removed most. Seems my plants keep growing (in both size and number) and I keep expanding beds and borders keep getting in the way.

Thanks,
tj

o

Thanks tj....point well taken!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 13:45

I kinda like the bed you had before but the line you follow with the sidewalk looks good too! Less grass, mission accomplished.

Going to be much easier to mow as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here