Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_ogden_utah

Western White Pine accidentally overwatered badly

jim_ogden_utah
9 years ago

I have a small pinus monticola (about 18" or 20") that was planted a couple months ago. I just discovered that the hose was left trickling nearby, probably for 14 or 15 hours. There was about 1" of water on one side of it.

Do you think that this one incident is enough to kill it?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

doubt it.. unless you planted in a clay hole.. amended with peat .... that does not drain ...

how does your soil perk???

ken

• DGG1
    9 years ago

Probably not. I see monticola growing in seasonally saturated areas in the mountains here. Let it dry out. Call it a 'good, deep' watering

• jim_ogden_utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies. There is some clay in the soil but it seems to have drained quite quickly. Hopefully it's not pooling a few inches below the surface.

I'm not as worried as I was. It's not a mistake that I want to make a habit of though. :)

9 years ago

Hopefully it's not pooling a few inches below the surface.

==>> take a hand trowel.. and find out ... why hope ... why guess ...

a small hole isnt that big a deal ... plus.. if it is soggy.. you can leave it open .. maybe it will dry it out down below ... if need be ...

ken

• jim_ogden_utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good suggestion Ken. It's all good. Still moist obviously but nothing to worry about.

9 years ago

many peeps.. put the hose away in early oct ... and then forget to keep their plants MOIST [not wet] late into fall ...

in my MI ... ground freeze isnt until ... usually.. mid dec ... and thats a long time for potential drought ...

its rare ... since days are cold.. and nights colder ... and any moisture in the soil .. usually lingers ...

the point being .... just check ... keep the trowel handy.. if your soil isnt friable enough to insert a finger ...

since your soil perks ... i wouldnt give this plant another thought .. in THIS REGARD ....

ken

• dbarron
    9 years ago

And farther South Ken, the ground rarely freezes at all, the whole winter. So yes, I water in January sometimes.

9 years ago

yeah DB ... but i am thinking utah is a bit more like MI rather than OK .... in winter ....

its weird.. but here in MI ... for the uninformed... the leaves turn colors in early oct.. you roll up the hoses ... so you can rake, etc ... and who cares about all those transplants for 6 to 8 weeks ... when it may or may not be moist in the soil ...

and then they say.. look what winter did to my transplants .... it killed them all ... no it didnt.. you did.. when you forgot to water it for 2 months.. and it went into winter bone dry ... perhaps this is a prelude to winter dessication .. eh????

and i am thinking.. when i first started.. i may have killed a few things..

one thing for sure.. i dont think jim will have to worry about it.. on this plant... i am sure the soil is moist.. deep down ... and without the heat of summer... it isnt going to dry down there.. until next july ....

ken

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm