Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winterizing Giant Thuja

Posted by dsohng Weschester, NY (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 12:39

Hi All,

I planted 16 foot and a half Giant Thujas in my front yard in June. I want to do my best to winterize them. I know that Wilt-Pruf is an option but I was thinking that I would surround each with a 2 foot burlap enclosure filled with mulch (grass clippings and leaves). Would this be a more effective option? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winterizing Giant Thuja

i will presume you didnt mean a 16 footer plus 1/2

what is your zone???

i planted 50 4 inchers... and gave them no winter protection.. EVER ... of course.. the first few years they were under snow cover ...

when were they planted ....

how did you plant them

will you keep them properly watered until late fall

does your ground freeze

did you mulch them???

here's pix of mine... 9 years later.. from 4 inches..

good luck

ken

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

sorry. meant 16 specimens at about 18 inches each. I am in Zone 6-7, about an hour north of NYC. I planted them in June in two staggered rows, mulched them, and I water them deeply twice a week. The first week they browned slightly but since then they look healthy, but have grown minimally (as expected). The winters here can vary but I don't want to take a chance when they are so young.

o

is wind an extreme variable????

sounds like you did everything right ....

and if they can make it thru my extremely winter-windy hilltop location.. w/o protection ... in z5

i dont know why yours would need protection ..

a little burlap on the wind side wouldnt hurt i suppose... but what did they cost..

are you really prepared to spend 10 bucks.. to protect a $6 plant??? i mean really .. if a couple die.. they can be replaced in spring for less than the cost of protecting ...

up to you.. obviously ...

ken

PS: do NOT let them dry out throughout the winter ... but no standing water ...

o

god I love those pictures- very inspiring to say the least. I have a few smaller ones that I do burlap some in the winter- but mainly so the deer won't chomp them, I have a somewhat larger one that is near an open field with strong winds- it did get a bit more golden than the others but its still surviving, pretty tough trees.
thetman

o

damn it...you're right. I might wilt-pruf them but that's it. Thanks and your thujas look great.

o

I wouldn't mess with them. Including Wilt-Pruf. I know that it seems like a good idea, but I frankly doubt the stuff does any actual good. All Thujas have inherent drought tolerance, far beyond what some peeps believe to be the case. If you're watering yours twice weekly, that means they are getting more care than the ones up at my land ever got.......or ever will, for that matter. They gotta live on their own, so why baby them?

+oM

o

agree with +om ...

wilt proof is more wasted money ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here