Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarpe

Very interesting video about propagating

jarpe
9 years ago

Forest research institute of Finland have released educational video about microcultivating of conifers. This is very effective way to clone trees. Only you have to start from the cells taken from seeds and some plants must be raised from each seed-origin to find out if wanted features are visible in plants. If so rest of the cells are taken from freezer and then plants can effectively be copied in thousands.
You can imagine how much work there is to find wanted carracteristicks from seeds and how many years it takes for those carracteristicks to show on plants so that selection can be made.I quess colorforms are easiest, and i hear they have already been able to find several origins of golden spruces. If only cells could be taken from some other part of the plant, then it would be so easy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microcultivating video

Comments (5)

• baxswoh
    9 years ago

Thanks for linking. Is there a translation anywhere?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its all greek to me.. ???

hmmmm.. wait.. greek??

aw well.. it may as well be.. lol ...

finnish greek???

ken

• jarpe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

wait!... there is one about grafting too. Here you see how they leave some branches onto rootstock under grafting point to maintain roots.

No, i dont think there is translation, you just have to listen very carefully and try to understand ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: grafting video

• andreas75_gw
    9 years ago

Hy!

Hm, the performance and economy of this selected plants strengthens, but genetic diversity goes down to zero... Could this be the plan for promising future forests?

Such genetically invariable clones have almost zero ability to adapt to changing environmental circumstances or against harmful organisms. If there forests from thousands of genetically identical plants are created, how quickly and to what extent they are erased when a certain fungus occurs, or a certain pest animal? Is the next step then a genetically engineered super tree that is immune to all pathogens, to avoid the loss of square miles of forests and millions of Dollar, Euro, whatever?

That may be a great step in the propagation methodology, but i ask me whether that makes sense?

Grts,
    Andreas

• jarpe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I absolutely agree with you, Andreas! I think only sense might be in production of decorative conifers.

In finland practicaly all decidous trees with wanted mutated feature are allready propagated by using this microcultivation technique. Itôs easier with decidous trees because clones can be raised directly from cells taken from growing points, without having to go through long process of seed selection.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider