Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the3rdman

Watering needs for large conifers

The3rdMan
9 years ago

We recently transplanted an assortment of large conifers (14' Concolors and Norway Spruce as well as a couple of 10' Serbian) and we're confused about all the different info out there about how much to water.

Some people say once or twice a week of a thorough soaking is good while some websites say to use up to 2 gallons per caliper inch per day on the trees. I pasted a set of instructions from that particular website below:

"For trees over a 4 inch caliper:
-Daily for six weeks - Depending on temperature and wind, apply 1-2 gallons per inch of trunk diameter.

-Every other day for five months - Depending on temperature and wind, apply 2-4 gallons per inch of trunk diameter.

-Weekly until established (four or more seasons)"

It does go on to say not to oversaturate a site with clay soil (which we have) but still unsure about how much and how often to water. The trees vary in caliper size from 4.5" to 7" and I put in an irrigation system with varying emitter sizes that I can adjust. So for my 7" caliper tree I put in a 5 gallons per hour emitter alongside two 2 gph emitters. My only problem is figuring out how much to use them.

Also, Ive noticed that many of the spruce are browning in the center but am assuming that's just from transplant shock (we transplanted them about 3 weeks ago) and not overwatering.

Any advice would be great. How many gallons per diameter size? How often? The were planted on a 25 degree slope, if that helps.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals