Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Ginkgo biloba �Bernheim Broom�

anyone have it.. pix .. info??

a gift from a friend.. need info beyond what is at the link ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (17)

• bluespruce53
    12 years ago

Got it! but only young plants

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Where is the pic of this little one?

• ReneeShedivy
    12 years ago

I am thinking about getting this variety, Ginkgo biloba 'bernheim broom'. Does anyone have a picture of a mature one? They are supposed to eventually get 8x10' and I am curious if it can be pruned and maintained to be a mounded shrub 5-6' in size. I realize it will take a while for it to even reach that size. Pictures would be wonderful!!!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i got it dormant.. and didnt bother with pix of stix ...

rabbits and/or deer got at it.. before i noticed.. and i am hoping i can salvage it ... but wont know for another month or so ...

as a broom.. and a ginkgo .. if it gets to 8 to 10 feet in my garden.. based on other ginkgo experience.. it might be a century or two.. lol ...

and as a tree.. there is no reason it could not be pruned.. [note: not sheared] to the smaller size ....

ken

ps: that 8 to 10 feet is probably a ten year estimate.. which would mean annual growth slightly less than one foot per year ...

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

what are the growing requirements for Ginko? I've tried growing them several times with no success. I can not figure it out they are listed as zone 3 hardy which would work but do not make the winters? Is clay soil a problem?

Original Author
    12 years ago

they seem to have no problems with mineral sand ... so perhaps clay/drainage is an issue

ken

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

We've got em in clay-based soil. They grow well here, just not fast.

+oM

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Thanks Tom, I will probably give them a try again.

Sorry Ken, I do not have a photo for you. I hope someone can provide a mature Bernheim photo for you.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Ken did you ever find out anything more about this one? Information seems to be very sparse!
    Sara

Original Author
    11 years ago

NEVER DID ...oops ..

mine suffered wildly in last summers drought.. not sure if it will return next spring ...

i think .. offhand.. i got it from a friend who works at hidden lakes ... i wonder if they have a mature one in their collection.. and if anyone who was on the regional this summer.. snapped a pic ...

like some true ginkgo nut like byron??? are you out in the ether byron???? .. lol

ken

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Ken: Bernheim has been in a bit of struggle. They have had funding cut and lots of conflicting views on the care of the Arboretum from former employees. The fellow that runs the Boon County Arboretum in Kentucky was raised near Bernheim and has a lot of ties to the people that are involved with it. I'll see what he knows about the broom and it's original plant.

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Boone County Arboretum does not have this in their collection. He did have another one that sounds suspicious. It was a broom found near Bernheim, but closer to I65. It has a narrow-columnar habit. Could this be the same plant?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Oy this is the problem with these guys - so much conflicting info out there! Thx for checking.

• kbguess
    11 years ago

Dave Horst has a ginkgo labeled 'Bernheim' that Dax photographed last year.
    It is at the bottom of a post on the gallery side.

I'll email Dave and see if he has any background

Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: Horst Garden

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

And then I see that he has one called 'Little Pete', too, which I've never heard of...grrrr...a lot of these are unregistered so very hard to straighten out which is which. Thx for your help - evidently it takes a village!
    Sara

• baxswoh
    11 years ago

Just heard back that Whitehall Gardens, which is in Louisville, KY, has one in their collection. He describes it as a rounded shape with stocky branching and full size leaves. Apparently the provenance traces back to Ben Cecil who worked at Bernheim and propagated the broom. It would be nice if this post is bumped up again in spring so we might get a picture from Whitehall.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Thank you very much!