Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harv2016

Pinus mugo 'Sunshine'

harv2016
10 years ago

I don't often post pics on the site, although I look at it often. However I do like to occasional put something on if for nothing else so that I remember how to. Love this little mugo which I recieved from Coenosium Gardens two years back. When Bob visited my place this summer I believe he said it gets good color 3 out of four year, this color is great. Look forward to the plant as it matures over the years, it's just such a happy little plant.

And this photo is of a Pinus strobus 'Blue Shag' , that I've been having an ongoing battle with for the past five years. He wants to die, and I want him to live. For that very reason I have very few strobus in my collection. The variety doesn't do well with the long periods of dry weather and open dry winters, and I refuse to be a slave to a water hose. My question, is this the correct color for this cultivar, or is he winning the battle?, seems to light to me.

href="http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/harv2016/media/DSC099944_zpsc143bd5b.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

Comments (15)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

How nice to hear! Just left Coenosium and 'Sunshine' was one of my purchases!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Sara, is your 'Sunshine' looking the same now as Harv's?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

No - it is green with a very pronounced gold eye.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Can you show me a detail pic of it?

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

No because Bob is going to ship it to me and that probably won't be until month-end. The ACS meeting ended at Coenosium and we kinda went nuts so he has a lot of shipping to do!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Ok, then show me one when you received it.
    I'm very curious how it will look like because Harv's isn't a true 'Sunshine'...it's a Pinus mugo 'Marand'...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinus mugo 'Marand' pic

• firefightergardener
    10 years ago

My plant.

Pinus mugo 'Sunshine' - I believe from Bob Fincham's backroom stash.

Closer.

-Will

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I'd guess if both of our Sunshines are from Mr. Finchman I'd see no reason why he'd purposely mislabel my plant Marnand

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Mine is looking a bit like Will's plant.

Harv, nice pics by the way. Bi-annual update is always appreciated!

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Harv, it's not a matter of believing, it's a matter of seeing.
    Bob didn't mislabel your plant, he gave you the wrong one.
    As you can see, your's has the same needle characteristics as the 'Marand' at my pic.

Your's don't have the "dragon eye" appaerence like the one's at both Will's pics, your's has yellow needles with green tips which are typical for the 'Marand'. (not 'Marnand')

Also the discription you mentioned is right for the 'Marand':
    "he said it gets good color 3 out of four year".
    The 'Marand' doesn't show it's nice yellow needles in a cloudy spring, they need sun which could be the cause that they'll be green once in every couple of years.
    The 'Sunshine' will show it's variegated needles always, no matter how much sun it gets.

Both are Dutch selections, maybe that's the cause that they got mixed up here...

• bobfincham
    10 years ago

Hi Harv,

You got the correct plant. I believe your coloration is climatic. I haven't propagated 'Marand' in over six years because it does not color up here in Washington state. Since 'Sunshine' is a dragon's eye type of variegation it can be affected by summer heat and growing conditions. Next year the color won't be nearly as pronounced.

'Sunshine' came from Wiel Linssen and when I noticed my plant would have good color two years out of three he told me that is a characteristic of it.

It is easy for Edwin to make a mistake since he is looking at a picture of a small plant in a harsh climate. I try not to name plants from single pictures on the gardenweb because it is not always an accurate way to do it. I know I did not send you a 'Marand'.

Try some Epsons Salts around your 'Blue Shag'. Not a lot. It will give it magnesium. Chub Harper tried that with his Pinus strobus that were off color and they recovered nicely. It was a soil nutrient deficiency.

Bob

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Bob, for me it's still a ''Marand' at that pic.
    You grew it in the past so there's a possibilllity you could tag it wrong by mistake.
    I also saw several 'Sunshine' specimens in a harsh climate in Central Europe, and all had the same dragon eye appaerence.

Like you said, next year the colour won't be nearly as pronounced.
    I'm very interested to see a new pic by then!
    If it will proof me wrong I'll change my mind, not sooner...

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    10 years ago

Here is my little Pinus mugo 'Sunshine' -

Ireena

• harv2016
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feed back on the Blue Shag, I'll try that. As far as the Sunshine, I hope it's color doesn't change to much, one of my favorites at the moment. However your right in that South Dakota can be harsh which is an understatment. I'll post a pic of the little fellow when it candles out next spring

• Scott
    7 years ago

Does anyone have a size and shape of a Pinus mugo 'Marand' at the 10 year mark. I know it varies in locations etc. but I really need to know is it taller than it is wide. Is it wider than it is tall. I have seen where some say it will be 42" tall and 18" wide and some say 24" tall and 48" wide. Can anyone give me what they have found? Thanks.