Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big diameter Arb cutting will still root?

Posted by SidewaysLS4 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 5, 12 at 13:04

I picked up 2 Degroot's Spire Arbs, about 24" high recently. They are single leader coming out of the ground, but there is a secondary leader, about 10-12" high coming out the side of the main trunk of both. I am planning on lopping those off once they get established some more.

I got to thinking of trying my hand at rooting these cuttings this winter...so what is the maximum diameter of an Arb cutting that will still root? The proposed cuttings are definately 'old wood'. Is this best done on something smaller and new growth? Any other tips?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big diameter Arb cutting will still root?

cuttings root rather freely ...

i did it once.. total novice.. and got about 50% take ...

BUT!!!! ... i used about 4 to 6 inch cutting ... has to be wood with bark lets say.. not green tips ...

i used to grow hosta seeds in the house in winter.. under lights ... so i tried some DS ... in a set up like the pic below.. on a heat mat ... sterilized everything.. and used a rooting hormone ...

but if your question is.. can you root your 12 inch piece .. i say NOPE ...

i would time it all for when the plant is in dormancy ... early december or january in my z5 ... but some peeps actually 'stick' them in nearing frames in earlier fall ... outdoors ...

also.. there will be hole in the plant when you cut the piece out .. plant it so that part is out of sight.. it will fill back in.. next summer ... been there.. done that ... i worried.. you shouldnt ...

ken

i had two others with DS in them..
Photobucket

o

There shouldnt be a hole in these...they are real young (and the cultivar is rather not like say, an emerald green mess, lol). Your cuttings look to be definately less developed than what I'm thinking of using, thanks for the insight!

o

i kinda skirted the title ...

the piece you are trying to root has to be of a size.. that allows the leaves/needle .. the ability to survive .. with ONLY ambient humidity .. until it can actually grow enough leaves to support those needy leaves ...

short of a humidity controlled greenhouse .. with a professional misting system.. i guess i would suggest what i did in the prior post ... smaller is better ...

not unlike myself.. what you are dreaming about.. is a rooted piece that will immediately be specimen sized.. you are trying to cut a year or two off the project ...

i suggest you go for small, volume.. so that in 2 years.. you actually have a usable plant.. rather than a dead stick inside a few months ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here