Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Deer Protection - Winter Months

ricksample
10 years ago

I have 1 gallon plants coming in from Conifer Kingdom & Western evergreen. Normally I would hold off until spring, but the weather has been perfect here the past week with the trees changing & cooler temps. Seems like a better time to plant than in the spring (before the leaves emerge, dealing with the damper soil and colder temps.)

Anyways, the past 2 years I've always used a product called Deer Out. Seems to work ok... I only use this during the winter months... the deer would rather munch on other stuff during the summer.

Everything I have planted is within 100' of my house. The deer still come up to my house to take a look, but most stay in the field about 600' back. I'm looking for a second form of protection for the conifers that I may plant in my field this fall and only use this during the winter months.

I was thinking of just buying 1" x 2" x 8' furring strips from Home Depot. Cut them in half and use three 4' pieces to make a triangle around each plant. Then stringing 1/8" rope or I also have fishing line around each one. These furring strips are untreated, so I could probably only use them for a season or two.

That seems like quick inexpensive solution. Each temporary cage would only cost about $1.30. Much cheaper than spending $5 a cage on wire mesh fencing. Plus less time consuming to make & I would have no where to store 100+ wire cages during the spring/summer/fall months.

Thoughts? What about some of you who plant in the field?

Comments (5)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i used fishing line on metal posts that i happened to have laying around.... around a robur oak .... seemed to work wonders ...

go across the top a few times .... since yours are rather short for a tall deer ....

ken

• ricksample
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks... I had a piece of this 1 x 2 x 8' laying around from a building project this past spring. I put the stakes in the ground and wrapped it with fishing line. Seems to work pretty well.... the entire thing flexes a little because of the damp soil. But I think it may work since the soil is frozen in the winter... allowing the stakes to permanently adhere to the soil until spring. With a little luck, hopefully we get a nice snow this winter that will allow most of the new plants to be hidden and just the stakes be seen.

• miclino
    10 years ago

Great so now I need to worry about the deer eating my new conifers How likely are they to munch on these expensive new additions if they never touch arborvitae or dwarf alberta spruces that are all over the place here?

• lcadem
    10 years ago

here in central iowa they mutilated my serbian spruces last fall and winter. First deer of the season showed up in my yard this evening. I'll have to start spraying this weekend.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I think deer are quite easy to detract if you don't have a huge property. Its those darn rabbbits!

My first two years I used 7' bamboo stakes placed at lets say 30' increments and tied finshing line at multiple heights.

The first year, the fishing line was mangled so obviously one got caught. Year two and this year nothing. Haven't seen a deer since. MY property is a bit exposed so they stay away and stick to whats available in the fields and woods in the vicinity.

However those rabbits went to town last year. I'm looking for a lower cost soultion to contain them myself. Thinking about using black plastic netting about 4' tall then using bamboo stakes and landscape staples at the bottom. Only concern is whether they will chew through the netting!

I've spotted them a couple times this summer already roaming around. I just let the dog loose and they bolt like you wouldn't believe.

I've encountered city rabbits this past summer. Wow they have no fear. I drove up my friends driveway and they just sat they looking at me. I ran up to them and they barely finched. There where some in his backyard as well. Threw a chuck of 2x4 at them and they barley finched...excepth the one I hit!lol

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!