Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greendale_gw

What's wrong with the emerald green arborvitae?

greendale
10 years ago

I have a line of emerald green, they were planted last fall. Half of the trees start yellowing on the bottom, ( see pic pls). All these yellow trees are on the side close a big oak(?) tree. But other half of the trees do not have this problem. Any idea what is happening? Is it too dry? we had a dry summer. TIA

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

hi

such consistency across multiple specimens makes me think lawn spray ...

no bug or disease would be that uniform ...

any history of such???

the oak has nothing to do with it...

is that how you water them????

ken

ps: another option might be exhaust burn from a machine ....

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are at the border of my property. The left side is my property (the one with the sprinter on) and this side is my neighbor's property. Both of us are using the same lawn care company which suppose to use "green" product. And they did not apply anything recently. ( it might be the symptom shown up slowly).

the only machine can be close to them is a lawn mower, but it is strange the other end does NOT have this problem. See more pictures.

Thanks again.
    -Greendale

This post was edited by greendale on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:58

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And yes, that is how I water them, but not very frequently. Also, I mensioned the oak tree is because most of the grass under the trees were always dry and yellow in the whole summer.
    Here is a picture of the other end

This post was edited by greendale on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:57

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Any dogs on the property? It could be caused by "leg-lifting".

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Close shot of the yellowing

10 years ago

drought does not affect one side of the tree...

improper planting does not affect one side of the tree...

it could be transplant shock.. but it does not affect one side of the tree...

being evergreen.. i swear to god.. they could be dead for half a year.. before they brown.. this particular moment in time.. means nothing ...

the insult or injury happens months ago .... they simply dont turn brown fast ...

i cant even blame poor stock.. because they are together in a row ... the browing ones i mean ....

i am thinking i like the dog theory .... [or the kid who uses that playset.. lol ...]

ken

EDIT.. they werent ball and burlap.. and you left the burlap on????

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 16:58

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No dog in both house. They were planted one year ago. There might be dogs come to pee on the tree one by one? I would not think dogs are smart like that, beside, this line of trees is vertical to the street, I have another line of same trees along the street side, they do not have this problem. Hmm, what is ball and burlap.( forgive my ignorance)

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another shot of the yellowing half, note the last tree at the end is not yellowing.

10 years ago

plastic pots.. or something else???

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Reaction to some kind of chemical spray. Even grass is showing the same die back effect next to the bottom of the Emerald Green' that are effected.

This is not a tree problem.

Dave

This post was edited by Davesconifers on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:09

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they were in plastic pot. The grass is always like that from day one ( the day these trees were planted).

I just looked the lawn care record, last one was on aug 16 and the following are what they applied: (and I have no idea what they are)

Balanced summer fertilizer 28-0-12
    Srike 3 (weed control)
    Primers one (disease control)
    Halosulfuron pro (nutsedge control)

Any of these may cause the problem?
    Thanks for all the advices
    -greendale

This post was edited by greendale on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 20:12

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

On the Strike 3 label I found mention of "for controll of woody plants" a few pages in. Also there are the usual warnings about drift and not spraying if winds excede 10 mph.

My wild guess is some got on your trees due to wind or spray error. Totally a guess.

Really it seemed listed as a systemic but with all the overspray warnings I figure contact must not be good for plants.

Guys, what was that spray which one of them companies in the north is discovered is killing some trees? Was in the paper months back but my google skills are failing me.

Is that a pretty normal treatment plan? I am not in a suburb so this lawn love stuff is alien to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: strike 3 store with label

• kbguess
    10 years ago

With the dead grass all summer long, I had two thoughts:

1. Could anyone have applied a persistent herbicide in that area? Some of the herbicides can affect things for a long time.

2. Is there a gas line running underneath? . I know a landscaper that replaced a dead area of lawn & landscaping. The replacement turf & plants died as well. Turns out a gas line had a leak.

Keith

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I'm not an expert, but that pattern is a dead giveaway. Unless there is a seriously talented dog in the neighborhood, that has to be over spray from sort sort of chemical. The line of damage is just too perfect. For reference, look at the image below of salt damage.

BTW, none of that stuff they are applying is "green". If they aren't keeping the lawn green anyways, why not just use true organics and not have to worry about hurting any of your trees.

Here is a link that might be useful:

10 years ago

hmmmm... back to my first sentence.. lol ...

imprelis is what killed new growth on old trees... it didnt look like this... but i am sure you meant the impact

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    10 years ago

It looks to me like a truck was backed in there....maybe to off load that play set? Drop off mulch,dirt,bagged goods? I did that once and it looked the same, but mine was only one tree and it happened very fast...it didnt take long to see the reaction on the tree. Most pick-up trucks exhaust out the side. Think back...maybe a possibility.......

Al

• greendale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi, thanks for all the tips. I think some chemical spray is more convincing. There is no gas line underneath, no truck can access that area. Probably it is the strike 3. I am going to send email to my lawn care company to ask them do not spray anything on the tree next time, hmm, how should I say it, without a solid evidence. Also, is there anything I can do to save these browning branches? Or the whole tree is gonna die?

Thanks a lot.
    Greendale

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Ask them also to replace the ruined conifers.

Since they are the only ones being paid to care for your lawn they are obligated. If they won't get rid of them for someone else more qualified.

Do you have a contract with them. If so read it and proceed from there.

Sorry about your loss.

One other thing. The dead branches and foliage will never regenerate. That divot of dead area will always be there but could somewhat soften as the plants age if you keep them.

Dave

• kayla2014
    9 years ago

I'm also having problems with my arborvitaes. I've lost four over the past year. They all seem to die off in the same manner. Does anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this based on the picture?

9 years ago

start your own post kayla ...

and tell us where you are.. zone ...

was the driveway new??/ .. lol.. is that a driveway???

how bad was your winter..

etc

just give us some facts to work with ...

ken

ps: those dont look like emerald greens to me ...

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz